scotty134

Studio 5000 and different PLC versions

12 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody,

I'm new in AB world, but has experience in Siemens and Omron. I'm trying to find out a way how I can handle multiple PLC firmware versions in Studio 5000. I installed Studio 5000 v30.* and it give me only 1 option to select PLC with v30 or HMI with v3. I get in touch with AB support and they told me to upgrade my PLC firmware to support my software version what is doesn't sounds like solution for me. Could anybody help me to explain how Studio 5000 works and it was done in Rockwell world? 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Scotty

For every different version of firmware, you will need that version of Studio 5000. So if you have versions 24, 26, 27, 30, you will need versions 24, 26, 27, 30 of Logix 5000.

The only other option is to flash everything to version 30 like you have.

Yup, dumb, I know!

3 people like this

It's really not as bad as it sounds for versions over 20.  You do have to install the separate versions; however, once installed you run the same program and you dont have to go through some selection process to use different versions.  It's more like you install the capability to interface with different versions of firmware.  Where it gets squirrelly (technical term) is when you have to work with a version 20 or below.  Then you will need a separate software package (RSLogix5000 instead of Studio5000).  The software will automatically switch between the required packages with those two also.  So if you open something with Studio 5000 that requires RSLogix5000, it will automatically close Studio5000 and open the file in RSLogix5000. 

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone for reply!

Does it mean that I need to install multiple versions and keep them? Ohhh. I have SSD 250Gb only. I calculated that each installation takes me 4Gb, when I tried to switch from C to D drive, then software said that it will install into C ~3.5Gb anyway what I'm saying and only rest data goes to D. :-( if I need to have ~10 versions it means that I need to have >40Gb of space just to cover 10 versions. I don't know why AB decided to go this inconvenient way for developers. Ok, we have what we have.

I see as option, it's install required option for PLC firmware, upload data from PLC, then FLASH it to newer version and convert program to new software version and upload back to PLC, then I can avoid populating RSLogix5000.

Installing support for each individual version is around 500-600 MB.  Its the initial application that is so big. 

7 minutes ago, Twigums said:

Installing support for each individual version is around 500-600 MB.  Its the initial application that is so big. 

Could you tell me please what I need to install in this case? 

I do download 9324-RLD200ENE - Studio 5000 Mini Edition ESD Software with different versions. I checked when I installed another version and it says 3.7Gb.

I looked at the directory sizes on my hard drive. It looks like my installation takes a total of about 15.5Gb for all of my Rockwell Software. That includes:

RSLogix 5

RSLogix 500

RSLogix/Studio 5000 v13,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,24,29,30, and 31

Why in my case it takes additional 3Gb for additional version of Studio5000? Something weird is going on here.

Can I ask to tell me what installations you used?

The Download files are big.  but once you install support for a version, look it up in your control panel(add/remove programs) and see how big version support file is.

Apologies for the poor picture quality. The support files for my studio versions are somewhat highlighted.

20190321_123410.jpg

Edited by Twigums
1 person likes this

For versions 13 and 15, I used the DVD that I inherited from my predecessor. The other versions were downloaded from their software center. In case it makes a difference, we're using the standard version of RSLogix/Studio 5000.

The downloads can be found here:

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

You will probably need a Rockwell account and maybe a TechConnect support contract to download other versions but your license will activate all of them once they're installed. If you don't have a support contract and it won't let you download what you need, contact your local distributor.

2 people like this

Are you downloading this product 9324-RLD200ENE - Studio 5000 Mini Edition ESD Software?

Take a look at what's in the contents of those "DVD images";   for better or for worse it's every support file in every language.

When I download a Rockwell software product, I put the .RAR or .ISO or .ZIP files onto our big file server once I'm done with my installation;  no reason to keep them on my relatively small SSD.

1 person likes this