Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaulB

Ge Fanuc And Scada

3 posts in this topic

Dear all, We have GE Fanuc 16i and 18i CNC controllers on the our machine centers. They have RS232 ports for programming. We would like to create SCADA system which will read information about machine cycles (time power is on/off; machine running time; faults; some operator inputs, etc.) This information would be stored in the controller memory, and at the end of each shift automaticly passed to the SCADA system. Then controller's memory would be reset and will collect information for the next shift. I spoke with the person who does programming of these machines in our place. He is saying that program such things is relatively easy. But he does not know how to pass this information from the controllers memory to the RS232 port. Is anybody has an experience in this type of applications, or knows any good source of information. Thanks. PaulB

GE Fanuc offers a product called HMI for CNC. It is an option for Cimplicity HMI/SCADA software. Communications between the PC running Cimplicity and the CNC is via HSSB (High Speed Serial Bus). You need an HSSB card in the CNC and in the PC. Beyond that, I know that you can pass part programs from a PC to the CNC using Procomm or other terminal emulator software. I also know that the ladder editor for the CNCs communicates via RS232, but I don't think that Fanuc sells or licenses the protocol driver. There is also a networking scheme called IOLink which allows multiple CNCs to share data. There is an IOLink module for the 90-30 PLC which might allow you to get the data you need into the PLC. You would also need an IOLink module in the CNC. From the PLC you can get the data to an existing SCADA via Modbus or SNP protocol. Some models of CNC have ethernet ports, but I don't know for sure what application layer protocol they use. I hope this helps a little. I wish I knew more.

Dear sir, if you need to exchange data with ge plcs you have tho ways. The first is to buy a scada devel. toolkit like "Cimplicity plant edition" make by Ge, that allows u to create a scada system in a very easy way. It contains ge "snp serial" and a lot of other drivers. In particular ge srtp driver that use tcp/ip infrastuctures . In other words you can build a plc tcp/ip net and, using a computer staged with Cimplicity, you can quickly build a scada system, design graphical pages, create SQL databases in which store plc process data. Another very interesting opportunity that Cimp. offer you is the cimweb server; using internet explorer and tcp/ip connection to the server you can connect with the scada system. Belive me, it looks difficoult to do, but it isn't. I've installed it in my plant and the result is very pretty. The second way is to buy the SNP drivers and write the scada by urself, or write the drivers, like i'm trying to do. If you want to, take a look to this adress, http://www.gefanuc.com/support/plc/fax09061.htm , and read the GFK-0529C manual that explain how SNP works. Enjoy ! masieroe@virgilio.it