ritz2610

fx3u-485adp-mb Two FX3U-485ADP-MB One Modbus Master and Other as General Purpose Serial Port

4 posts in this topic

Is it possible to use FX3U-485ADP-MB as a serial port to send and receive user defined string/data to and from a computer?

I have a FX3U-32M PLC and two FX3U-485ADP-MB adapters. I have been using PLC with one adapter as Modbus Master. Now i want to use both adapters, where one will be Modbus Master as usual and the other I want to use to send and receive data to and from computer terminal (Example - Realterm). I have a third party 232/485 converter which works really well.

Lets me just describe my requirement straight forward. I want to display process parameters on a windows computer based user interface (UI) and also set some variables in PLC from the same UI. The UI has access to serial ports of computer.

Edited by ritz2610

It will also be okay if I could use the ch2 adapter as Modbus slave, I can work around on computer UI to make it a modbus master.

Hi and welcome! yes, you can connect two (not more) ADP communication modules on the left side of the main unit. For example two FX3U-485ADP-MB.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:52 PM, kaare_t said:

Hi and welcome! yes, you can connect two (not more) ADP communication modules on the left side of the main unit. For example two FX3U-485ADP-MB.

Hi kaare_t. Thanks for replying. I have been reading the manual (Data Communication Edition) and trying to parameterize the two channels, one for Modbus Master and other for Non-protocol Communication or as Modbus Slave but unable to do so.

I figured that I cannot use Modbus Master and Modbus Slave together even if I have two separate adapters, as the Modbus serial line is shared and Channel1 takes over, disabling Channel2.

I am gonna contact my supplier if he can give a solution, otherwise I think I am going to buy a FX3U-232ADP-MB and a CNV-BD card.

Please do tell me with little details if I can use my existing two 485ADP-MB adapters for my application.

Thanks