RandomCST

ProfiBus Noise

5 posts in this topic

On one of our installations we have a noise issue with a long segment of profibus.  Will installing snap-on ferrite cores help, hurt or make no difference.  I've heard both.  One side says proper grounding is more important and that the beads will round off the leading and trailing edges.  The other side says the beads are always helpful in noisy environments.

Profibus over rs-??? or ethernet?

Try this article by a SMAR engineer

http://www.smar.com/en/technical-article/tips-for-trouble-shooting-on-the-profibus-dp

Other technical articles not specific to Profibus on that site, too

Or this one:

https://procentec.com/about/news/2016/a-short-guide-to-addressing-emc-on-profibus/

Edited by DanW
additional link

In my prior job the ferrite cores were used on one segment of the profibus where it connected to a DC sputtering power supply to prevent noise. It was standard with the OEM manufacturer to use these where the sputtering supply is located.

I have found noise in profibus was caused by two things. One is the connectors, if the cable is damaged and the ground is not secure to the connector it would cause problems. Usually caused by improper installation. The wires have to be stripped perfectly to be installed in the connectors. I had a profibus cable stripper that removed the correct length of insulation to be installed in the DB9 connectors.

I have also found noise problems in the cable in several machines where the cable was getting soaked by oil from the rotary vane vacuum pump and had discolored the cable.

Since you said it is a long run of cable, I would inspect it for damage or if the cable is getting wet by any liquid.

Mike

2013-07-26_14-37-01_743 (Medium).jpg

1 person likes this