Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECSI

RSView32

15 posts in this topic

Hello What is the difference between RSView32 and RSView32 Works? The AB website doesnt seem to explain this, at least from what I've seen so far. Also, if the customer buys a development package does he also need a runtime? Final question...if I buy a 150 Tag package, does each tag use one PLC address or can I set up arrays where one tag can be assigned to an input bit with an array of 16 bits. I'm not sure if 150 tags is enough yet. I am new to AB, been using Omron for years but now I have to learn Micrologix and RSView in a hurry. Thanks

RSView32 Works is the development environment only. There's a runtime built into it so you can test your application. RSView32 Runtime is what it sounds like; a runtime license. Usually you will develop the application then buy one runtime license for each computer it's going to run on in the field. If you will be doing all the application development and maintenance, your customer should only need a Runtime license. "Tags" in RSView32 are anything that provide information for a display, alarm, or trend object. If you have a dozen bits that trigger different displays but are part of the same data word in the PLC, they are nonetheless separate tags.

RS view 32 has came in two versions one is works and other is runtime. With RS VIEW 32 works you are able to develop, edit and run application, while with runtime edition you can run the application but can't edit or modify the application. You can use array of tags.

The customer wants to have the development software registered to them. Does this mean that I can just provide them with the development package since it already contains a runtime built into it, or are there limitations to the built in runtime? Also. it will only run on one computer. Thanks for the info

Only RS VIEW works copy can act as a both runtime and works also. You can supply only development edition to client that is sufficiant.

Thanks

It's extremely rare that anything Ken says warrants explanation or clarification, but I see the opportunity.... There are two types of tags in RSView - "device" and "memory". The tag limit in the package you buy (e.g. 150) only applies to device tags. These are tags referencing data external to RSView (usually a PLC). You can have any number of memory tags (internal to RSView). You can use a device tag to read an integer and, using the included VBA, assign each bit to 16 memory tags. Something to consider if the budget's tight.

Thanks Gerry 150 Tags may be borderline for this project so the VBA script idea may be the answer.

Another way to get best value from few tags is to multiplex the data. You divide up 150 tags into integer and binary areas as you see fit, say 50 integers and 100 bits. These use a data table in the PLC such as N7. Then depending on the screen being displayed you get the PLC to move the relevant data into N7 ps we virtually allways supply Works to the client so that they (or we) can modify the SCADA on site easily.

If I remember correctly, on small projects you can start in demo mode and make changes and then do a save. Demo only lasts 2 hours and I think there is a limit to the amount of tags in the project that this method will work. Bob O.

Demo mode?? Do you mean with RSView32 Works that I purchase or do you mean a separate demo version of the program?

I am thinking that if you open a runtime only version using the RSView32 works option it will open a two hour demo. I don't have a runtime only in front of me to test but I believe this to be correct. The reason I mention this is just in case you or another person is in a pinch to make a change to a runtime only project. Hope this helps Bob O.

I'm not familiar with RSView, but in other SCADA packages, such as Intellution. The license is contained in a hardware dongle. If you remove the dongle from a run time machine, and then restart it, it will run in "DEMO" developer mode for two hours. This allows minor changes to be made without having to purchase a developer's license. When the edits are complete, you shut down the machine, re-install the dongle, and then restart. The dongle has to be present at startup.

The RSView package is like most of the other Rockwell software packages. You install on only one computer using the license serial number and Master Disk. 150 tags sounds pretty low, I used a Runtime 1500 last year and went over my limit. But it was a line with 50+ stations and 200 pallets with data tracking. Regards

RSView32's Demo mode is simply running without an activation. Time and tag limited. I think 2 hours and 35 tags (from memory)