Slwagner73

WIFI Communication to RIO

6 posts in this topic

So, I was wondering if this scenario is possible.

And I apologize for the crude drawing, but art was never my foray.

I can run hard cable out to the out buildings, but I really was thinking maybe I could just do it through WIFI.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe something like this would work, but I really don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/USR-WIFI232-610-Serial-802-11-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B00QWYW8E4/ref=sr_1_19?hvadid=177355309147&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1019626&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12979579168454521277&hvtargid=kwd-74203348&keywords=wireless+to+ethernet+adapter&qid=1551546152&s=gateway&sr=8-19&tag=googhydr-20

WIFI Config..dib

Edited by Slwagner73

Mel, what would I be looking at at that site?

On 3/4/2019 at 8:53 PM, Slwagner73 said:

Mel, what would I be looking at at that site?

I think the link was for hardware that you could use to set up the WiFi network. 

I probably work in a different industry than you do. We wouldn't use remote IO on a WiFi network unless failure of the link combined with failure mode of the card would absolutely never cause an unsafe condition. That said, I put some point IO on some water pumping stations. The IO was for monitoring and control of stations that were a couple of miles away from the controller. Comm was via an iNet radio and ethernet cards in the racks on each end. The remote IO looked like any other ethernet IO rack in the facility. It worked great with one little exception. When I put the system in it was fall. The trees didn't have leaves on them. When spring came the remote rack communication dropped out. We had to raise the antennas above the height of the trees. Apparently pine trees attenuate a 900MHz radio signal. :o) It was a good lesson. We picked an easy antenna height vs climbing to the top of the tower and putting it there.

If anyone is interested, the field based water pumps filled a tank at the station and then high pressure (2,000 psi-ish discharge pressure) pumps took suction from the tank and pushed the water into storage caverns to displace ethane, propane, or butane (not mixed, there were individual caverns, out of the salt cavern and into a pipeline. Technically the field water wells were not required for safe operation so point IO worked. 

Nano Beam units. Yes pine trees kill 900 mhz rather efficiently. Found that out when I put a 900 mhz radio link in with snow on the trees. Just tell them to pray for climate change.