mr_electrician

Analog Wiring NO NO

7 posts in this topic

Whats wrong with this picture? 

What could go wrong? :shrug::shrug:

This is how my employer wires analog circuits in the panel!

#Frustrated Employee!!

#EPIC_ANALOG_FAIL

Bad Analog Wiring.jpg

Edited by mr_electrician
1 person likes this

We use gray for negative and blue for positive, OK I do and sometimes my boss remembers. Also when we use shielded pair cable the black is always negative [like it is in your car]. 
Are those spades on there or are those some really BIG ferrules?

I prefer to have the top of my wire duct at least a half inch higher than the termination points on the cards.

We tend to use mostly allen bradley or modicon. Both of which have covers that snap over the wires until they pass the bottom of the cards.

2 hours ago, NevergoldMel said:

We use gray for negative and blue for positive, OK I do and sometimes my boss remembers. Also when we use shielded pair cable the black is always negative [like it is in your car]. 
Are those spades on there or are those some really BIG ferrules?

I prefer to have the top of my wire duct at least a half inch higher than the termination points on the cards.

We tend to use mostly allen bradley or modicon. Both of which have covers that snap over the wires until they pass the bottom of the cards.

The analog cards should not be wired with individual TW conductor.  They should be shielded 2 conductor wire, or 8 conductor shielded, regardless it should be shielded.

I also prefer Rockwell but the company standard is OMRON since they don't charge for tech support.  Have to agree with the company on that point.

The digital cards have Ferrell and should be forks.  The Analog cards have forks however are too large.

I see opportunity to start my own company as I have higher quality standards!

I have the panel shop use twisted pair from the short run from field terminal blocks to the AI cards.  You can see the blk/clear pair below coming up from the top of the field terminal blocks.

Field-terminal-wiring-STP-out-the-top-to

I haven't a clue why analog signals rate fork terminals and discretes rate ferrules.  What's the logic for that?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, DanW said:

I have the panel shop use twisted pair from the short run from field terminal blocks to the AI cards.  You can see the blk/clear pair below coming up from the top of the field terminal blocks.

Field-terminal-wiring-STP-out-the-top-to

I haven't a clue why analog signals rate fork terminals and discretes rate ferrules.  What's the logic for that?

Your picture is the way I do my analog wiring as well. 

As far as the Ferrells vs Forks.....I have no clue why the builder did this????  In fact they should not be using ferrels at the cards as they are designed for forks or rings only.  Ferrells should only be used for terminals.

The quality of the cabinets defiantly has room for improvement.  I make suggestions but why listen to the new guy with 15+ years experience when you can keep doing what you have been doing for the entire year you have been in the business!

20 minutes ago, mr_electrician said:

As far as the Ferrells vs Forks.....I have no clue why the builder did this????  In fact they should not be using ferrels at the cards as they are designed for forks or rings only.  Ferrells should only be used for terminals.

OK.  I thought the distinction your were making was signal type (analog vs digital), not connector type (screw terminal vs terminal block).  

Even so, given the number of times I've found the problem to be a whisker (that errant single strand) that makes it way out from under the screw terminal and touches where it shouldn't, I'd take a ferrule over bare stranded wire even if a fork is the correct and proper solution.  

Have you encountered maintenance/performance-over-time issues with ferrules under screw terminals?n   Loosening?

7 minutes ago, DanW said:

OK.  I thought the distinction your were making was signal type (analog vs digital), not connector type (screw terminal vs terminal block).  

Even so, given the number of times I've found the problem to be a whisker (that errant single strand) that makes it way out from under the screw terminal and touches where it shouldn't, I'd take a ferrule over bare stranded wire even if a fork is the correct and proper solution.  

Have you encountered maintenance/performance-over-time issues with ferrules under screw terminals?n   Loosening?

I prefer forks over bare wire myself.

I also prefer spring cage terminals over screw.  The spring cage has been well proven.

I have 18 years of hands on maintenance in pretty harsh conditions. I have solid experience as to what works and does not work.