tv97

Need help with a Hoffman A7272 doors that bind

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I have a HoffmanA727220ULP that has been cut out but when it came back from the Machine shop the doors bind and there is no gap between the door and the enclosure.  Has

anyone had this problem before? if so how do you fix it? 

thanks in advance 

Does it look like the enclosure was dropped?  How were the holes cut in it (manually using hand tools or boring mill, radial drill, etc.)?  If it was dropped, the hinge or area where the hinge is welded could be damaged.  If someone cut the enclosure on a boring mill, for example, the tool could have crashed the door causing distortion.  Another place it could have been damaged is the fold around the doors.  If they are distorted, they will rub on the door opening.  Regardless, you will need to inspect for the location of the damage and then "help it back into position".  A large enclosure like that typically takes a lot to distort it.  It will take an equal force to move it back.  I have had to use a large mallet in the past to move a door back that was hit by a forklift.  Good luck.

I've also seen issues with doors when the enclosure isn't level. make sure all 4 corners are on a level, flat surface. If it's sitting on a pallet, move it to a flat, level floor and try again.

1 person likes this

Good call, Joe.  That is common especially in plants with unstable or uneven flooring.  In our plant, a forklift driving by can shift the concrete slabs when it drives over them.  Way back when the building was erected, the contractor was pressured to rush on the concrete installation.  The quick-cure and poor base prep caused some slabs to curl on the corners causing a slight "dishing" in the center of the slabs.  We have to shim the enclosures in some areas to keep them level.