Nyame Ephraim

Hi, please its possible to use VGA 9 pin male and female to set up communication for AB 1400 PLC and Delta HMI B Series ?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, please I wish to understand something, I understand communication for AB 1400 and Delta HMI can be achieved using RS 232 communication cable and wiring the pins according to HMI manual specifications. Now I don’t have RS 232 communication cable, but I have VGA 9 pin male and female communication cable,

Please any idea on how I can communicate the PLC and HMI using 9 pin VGA male and female ?

How can i use VGA 9 pin male and female to communicate from my PLC to HMI.pdf

Video Graphics Adapter (VGA) connectors are about the same size and shape but have different pins (15).   

The MicroLogix 1400 has an ordinary 9-pin "DB9" RS-232 connector, which you can see is a Male (pin) connector.    The pinout is for a "Data Terminal Equipment" type port, on which Pin 2 is Receive (Rx) and Pin 3 is Transmite (Tx).

This is the same pinout and style of port that you would find on a typical personal computer.

The Delta HMI you posted a picture of appears to be a DOP-B07S411.    It has at least two communication ports on the back, which can be configured for RS-232 as well as for other interfaces like RS-485.

The DOP Connection Guide manual I was able to find for the Delta HMI suggests that the DB9 Male plug is also a DTE style plug, where Pin 2 is Rx and Pin 3 is Tx.

That means that your serial cable must be a "null modem" type that swaps Pin 2 and Pin 3.    Or, you can add a "null modem adapter" that internally swaps pins 2 and 3.

There is no way to tell from a picture what type of wiring is inside an RS-232 cable.   You must either have its specification sheet or measure continuity with a meter from end-to-end.

thank you for the reply 

i have the DP 9 Adapter male and female, the i model i have i can open it and do the connection, now i wish to understand once more please, can communication for the AB 1400 PLC and Delta HMI DOP B07S411 BE created using the DB 9 Pin male and female ? 

Wirring DP 9 adapters.pdf

As Ken mentioned, a photo of the outside of the cable is insufficient. If it's a "standard" serial cable, it's a straight through pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. cable, which will require using a null modem adapter.

If the Delta HMI supports the AB DF1 protocol over RS232, then you can get it to talk to the ML1400.