WattUp

Anyone used an RFID reader on company badges?

3 posts in this topic

As part of a request to control some processes, and discussing the shortcomings of unique passwords, or keys, they asked if the company badges could be used instead. 

I would imagine such systems exist, but does anyone have experience with them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "such systems exist", but since you posted this in the Mitsubishi forum I'm just guessing you want to integrate it with a Mitsubishi controller?

I've worked with barcode readers and RFID readers, both serial connected and Ethernet connected. It's very straight forward and you just connect the reader (barcode/RFID) to your controller using whatever medium (serial/Ethernet/other). Then you interpret the numbers that are input from the reader. It's just a binary or an ASCII string...

What is more challenging is often what to do or how to process the input data:
When you have received the string, what should be done? Do you have an internal table in the controller (e.g. input from an HMI)? Alternatively, what I have done some places, is to have a MES module and integrate with a centralized DB. It can be a DB for personnel, products, gates etc. Just make a general query in the MES/DB and use the input string (barcode/RFID) as a parameter.

As said, based on your question it's a bit hard to answer more precisely... Feel free to continue the topic if you have more information to add or if anything in my post is unclear.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:27 AM, kaare_t said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "such systems exist", but since you posted this in the Mitsubishi forum I'm just guessing you want to integrate it with a Mitsubishi controller?

I've worked with barcode readers and RFID readers, both serial connected and Ethernet connected. It's very straight forward and you just connect the reader (barcode/RFID) to your controller using whatever medium (serial/Ethernet/other). Then you interpret the numbers that are input from the reader. It's just a binary or an ASCII string...

What is more challenging is often what to do or how to process the input data:
When you have received the string, what should be done? Do you have an internal table in the controller (e.g. input from an HMI)? Alternatively, what I have done some places, is to have a MES module and integrate with a centralized DB. It can be a DB for personnel, products, gates etc. Just make a general query in the MES/DB and use the input string (barcode/RFID) as a parameter.

As said, based on your question it's a bit hard to answer more precisely... Feel free to continue the topic if you have more information to add or if anything in my post is unclear.

We are Mits standardized here. Normally Q06UDV. 

I have done several Barcode readers over ethernet, and am very familiar with that setup and use. 

My question was more aimed at your second point about the challenge of using the data. I was hoping for some examples of how others have done that. 

The MES system you mentioned, were you able to tie directly with the central ID system or did you have to create a separate copy of the database?