Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thacks

Problems Configuring Kuka KRC4 EDS File To Studio 5000

8 posts in this topic

I have added the Kuka EDS file to the hardware configuration, i have added a  name and IP address but now need to add a connection.....

In the drop menu i only have the option to select Listen Only 1 which once selected changes to Exclusive Owner 1, then when i press OK i get the message

Failed to Set 'Name'.
Connection name 'Exclusive Owner 1' Not Supported.

can this only be setup once online or is there a way to set a different name.

KUKA EDS.JPG

KUKA EDS 1.JPG

Hi Thacks.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I dont have any experience with your product, however when configuring EDS Modules- sometimes Rockwell release new Add On Profiles that need to be installed in order to get you certain functionality.

Bit of a long shot- but might be worth looking on the RA site to see if such updates exist.

Edited by collinsd70
1 person likes this

Try using a Generic EtherNet Module with the same setup.

If I'm not mistaken, you also have to configure the Ethernet module in the Kuka with another software.  At least that's how it was done in the KRC2 days.

Hello guys,

I need to communicate a KRC 4 ( Kuka robot ) to a CompactLogix. Where can I download the EDS file or where I am supposed to generate it?

Ricardo.

You should start a new thread for this or use the search functions.

See here:  http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=107389

You can also "upload" EDS file via RSLinx Classic, otherwise you can set up the module with "Generic Ethernet Module" and use the instances attached inside the link.

Otherwise it should come in the attached CD-ROM included with the sale of the Robot.

Regards

Daniel

KUKA KRC4 EtherNet-IP 2.0.pdf

Edited by collinsd70

I am usually setting up the robot side but have never seen an EDS from KUKA, so why don't you post it? Normally this is  always done using generic Ethernet module as stated by pcmccartney1.

Also 

1. what is your exact KSS version?

2. what is the version of EtherentIP option installed on robot controller?

3. Are you trying to create only standard data connection or also plan on using CIP Safety? If planning to use CIP safety, PLC must be acting as "controller" (master). Also in this case if using older PLC software/firmware CIP safety would require second network adapter in PLC. Newer PLC firmware can do both standard and safety data over single network interface if you download and install AOP for this from Rockwell website (Btw. you can also get it from Kuka.com downloads). I think latest version is 1.62. Also RPI for safety interface must be set to 25ms.

Note: KRC4 can be setup to act as EIP master, EIP slave (up to 5 standard slaves and one safety slave) or it can be everything at once (master and several slaves). I guess other terminology is "master"=Controller and "slave"=Adapter or whatever, it is the same thing.

PLC Adding new module.jpg

PLC Adding new module - GENERIC.jpg

PLC Use SINT intstead of BYTE.png

EIP KRC4 version.jpg

EIP KRC4 CIP safety instances.jpg

EIP KRC4 CIP safety RPI must ne 25ms.jpg.png

Good to hear that Kuka KRC4 has CIP Safety.  My experience was with KRC2 and don't remember that being an option.  We did it the old fashioned way, hardwired through the Safety Board.

To echo Panic's statement, I've never found any EDS files for Kuka.  Repeated attempts with both Michaigan and Germany Support Groups came up empty.  But that was probably 7 years ago.  Might be worth asking them again.

One more idea is www.robot-forum.com.  They have forums on a per brand basis.

Edited by pcmccartney1

KRC4 supports 4 safety options:

1. parallel safety using SIB boards and interface X11 or X11+X13 (hardwired safety)

2. CIP Safety (requires EthernetIP option and connection to safety PLC)

3. ProfiSafe (requires ProfiNet options and connection to safety PLC)

4. FSoE (fail safe over EtherCat, requires bridge and and connection to safety PLC)

Of course only one of them can be (must be) used at any time.

Also EIP and PNET are using same resources so cannot be used at the same time.

KRC4 configuration is done with WorkVisual which is free download from kuka website and usually also found on D:\ of the KRC4.

WorkVisual includes several types of device description files but for EIP and DeveiceNet one always had to use generic ones (unfortunately). So if someone does have EDS from KUKA, please share it, i would be curious to check it out.