Dac1987

Communicate IHM Dakol with Plc SLC5 / 03

13 posts in this topic

Hi I'm trying to connect a IHM DakolB07E515 with the SLC 5/03 Plc.
I am using a rs232 null cable. but I can not get the communication. Can someone help me ?

Do you have the project file for the 5/03? It will have an "RSS" extension. The current archive will have the COM port settings in it. Your field device will need to match those settings.

Hello I'm trying to put the new HMI but I can not connect to the HMI. I do not know how to configure the cable to make this communication. I already tried the same cable where I use to communicate with the notebook, and also on a rs232 null cable but I could not. Do I need to change anything in the PLC port configuration?

If you connect to the serial port and autoconfigure a DF1 driver in RSLinx, does it see the 5/03?

Yes I can get into the program to download and upload normal, I just can not communicate to Ihm with the PLC. I'm in doubt on the cable I'm using, or do I need to change any settings?

Ok, inside the PLC program, check the COM port settings. In the project tree, double-click on "Channel Configuration" under "Controller". Check the Channel 0 settings and make sure your device is set the same way. If they don't match, make them match by changing either the PLC or your device.

For an HMI, I think you can just use the Chan. 0 - System settings.

I did a bench test and I was able to connect the HMI with a micrologix 1200. 
But in SLC 5/03 I will have to make the change in channel 0 (enable it in channel configuration),
but I have a doubt on the same channel I am using to do the communication with rslinx,
if I make any changes I run the risk of not being able to open the PLC program anymore? 
Mr. Joe Thanks for helping me out.
Edited by Dac1987

What change do you have to make to channel 0 in the PLC to make it work? When you download the change, your PC will probably lose comms with the PLC but you should be able to repeat the autoconfigure in RSLinx to get it back. Of course, your PLC will only be able to talk to either the HMI or your PC if they're both using the serial port.

I would recommend getting a USB-DH485 adapter so your PC can be online with the PLC at the same time as the HMI. I've done it before where I had to switch between HMI and PC when making changes and it was a pain when I was troubleshooting since I couldn't look at the code online while seeing what the HMI was displaying.

Rockwell calls theirs the 1747-UIC. Here are 2 sources for a 3rd party cable that we've had very good results from:

https://www.theautomationstore.com/allen-bradley-slc-500-programming-cable-usb-to-dh485-1747-uic/

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

That would let the HMI use the serial port while your PC uses the DH485 port.

Right. That's what I want to do, I want to communicate the HMI with the PLC.
It does not matter if when I need to use the PC I lose communication with the HMI.
The HMI will only be used to enter values in timers and a fault list.
And the cable I use to make this communication between PLC and HMI is the same communication cable
between PLC and PC or do I need to change anything? 
Thank you very much.

You need to know the COM port settings of the HMI. Baud rate, parity, handshaking, stop bits, etc. Basically, look at the channel 0 settings dialog box in the PLC project. You need that information for the HMI so you know what to set the PLC to.

Channel0_SLC503.PNG.aace14b081d74dbe2978

This part I understood, my doubt was if I change some configuration on this page and lose communication
with rslinx and never again can open the program that was my doubt.
And on that page that you attached in the "General" tab, 
what value did you put in the "Passthru Link ID (dec)" setting? 
On channel 1 and channel 0.
Thanks for the help the idea is getting clearer and clearer.

I'm not really a communications guru with these, so I'm not sure what the Passthru Link ID is. On mine, they're set to 2 and 1.

You should be able to repeat the autoconfigure in RSLinx to re-establish communications after you change the channel 0 settings.

Okay. Thank you very much my friend for the tips.