simonongsk

OMRON Ethernet IP as Slave

9 posts in this topic

Hi:

I would line to use Beckhoff PC C6015-0010 Ethernet/IP  as Master and Omron CJ2M CPU33 Ethernet/IP and CJ1W-EIP21 as Slaves. But I was told Omron Ethernet/IP can only be use as Master?

Is it true? 

Have anyone have successfully connect Beackhoff Ethernet/IP to Omron Ethernet/IP? If yes, where can i get the Omron EDS files?

Thanks

12 hours ago, simonongsk said:

Hi:

I would line to use Beckhoff PC C6015-0010 Ethernet/IP  as Master and Omron CJ2M CPU33 Ethernet/IP and CJ1W-EIP21 as Slaves. But I was told Omron Ethernet/IP can only be use as Master?

Is it true? 

Have anyone have successfully connect Beackhoff Ethernet/IP to Omron Ethernet/IP? If yes, where can i get the Omron EDS files?

Thanks

It won't really be a "slave", but you can set the Omron EIP units up to produce data that the Beckhoff can consume.  It should work fine.

Hi Micheal:

Do you mean I use the Omron Network Configurator to do this? How? Some how the EDS files have to be included, right ?

I have intended to add 5 units of CJ1w-EIP21 to 5 CJ2M PLC  which are currently running. Can you please help to describe how I can do it and with what software?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

It won't really be a "slave", but you can set the Omron EIP units up to produce data that the Beckhoff can consume.  It should work fine.

Hi Micheal:

Do you mean I use the Omron Network Configurator to do this? How? Some how the EDS files have to be included, right ?

I have intended to add 5 units of CJ1w-EIP21 to 5 CJ2M PLC  which are currently running. Can you please help to describe how I can do it and with what software?

Thanks

Yes, you would use Network Configurator for EtherNet/IP (or you could use Beckhoff's software, but I can't help with that).  Do you have the EDS file for this device?  If you post it, perhaps I can help.   I have been unable to locate the file.

12 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Yes, you would use Network Configurator for EtherNet/IP (or you could use Beckhoff's software, but I can't help with that).  Do you have the EDS file for this device?  If you post it, perhaps I can help.   I have been unable to locate the file.

Which EDS file, Omron or Beckhoff?

Omron should be at  "C:\Program Files (x86)\OMRON\CX-One\Network Configurator\Eds"

As of Beckhoff  (i downloaded from Beckhoff Website, but it was stated as EIP Slave...  that is the only file i am able to locate)

One Question though, If Iuses Network Configurator, how can Omron software download any file into third party hardware like Beckhoff CPU?

Also, how would you know if the eds file (i assumed is Beckhoff) will be ok without connecting to an actual hardware?

TwinCAT_EtherNetIP.eds

On 12/15/2018 at 4:36 AM, simonongsk said:

Which EDS file, Omron or Beckhoff?

Omron should be at  "C:\Program Files (x86)\OMRON\CX-One\Network Configurator\Eds"

As of Beckhoff  (i downloaded from Beckhoff Website, but it was stated as EIP Slave...  that is the only file i am able to locate)

One Question though, If Iuses Network Configurator, how can Omron software download any file into third party hardware like Beckhoff CPU?

Also, how would you know if the eds file (i assumed is Beckhoff) will be ok without connecting to an actual hardware?

TwinCAT_EtherNetIP.eds

I was referring to the Beckhoff eds file, thank you.

You may need to use Beckhoff software to download settings to the CPU as well as the Omron configurator.

How would I know if the eds file is ok?  Well, typically, CPUs do not look like I/O and the reason is this:  you can only assign one EtherNet/IP master to control outputs.  For instance if I have an output module, only one master could control the outputs, otherwise, how would it decide which master to obey.  If the Beckhoff CPU is this way, then only one Omron CPU could sent it data.  It does not make sense.  Perhaps Beckhoff is doing something in the background to get around this, but I cannot tell.  I just wanted to mention it.  I would contact Beckhoff and make sure that you have the proper EDS file.  

One other note.  Usually you have to set up the Consume (or input) connection on the CPU on both ends.

So, for Omron to Beckhoff, typically I would expect to configure the connection in the Beckhoff.  For Beckhoff to Omron, I would have expected to configure the connection in the Omron controller.  This is most certainly how it works when connecting two Omron PLCs together.  

14 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

I was referring to the Beckhoff eds file, thank you.

You may need to use Beckhoff software to download settings to the CPU as well as the Omron configurator.

How would I know if the eds file is ok?  Well, typically, CPUs do not look like I/O and the reason is this:  you can only assign one EtherNet/IP master to control outputs.  For instance if I have an output module, only one master could control the outputs, otherwise, how would it decide which master to obey.  If the Beckhoff CPU is this way, then only one Omron CPU could sent it data.  It does not make sense.  Perhaps Beckhoff is doing something in the background to get around this, but I cannot tell.  I just wanted to mention it.  I would contact Beckhoff and make sure that you have the proper EDS file.  

One other note.  Usually you have to set up the Consume (or input) connection on the CPU on both ends.

So, for Omron to Beckhoff, typically I would expect to configure the connection in the Beckhoff.  For Beckhoff to Omron, I would have expected to configure the connection in the Omron controller.  This is most certainly how it works when connecting two Omron PLCs together.  

I tested the link up with Beckhoff Hardware with Beckhoff local support. Funny thing, their hardware is able to scan and locat CJ2M-EIP21 without using any EDS file. BUT not with Omron Network Configurator ! Their provided EDS file were not be able to  use with Omron Nework Configurator. What I would to known If somehow I have the EDS File. What is the next step for me. I would like to link Omron DM and send to Beckhoff  PC. How to map it to TAG?