Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bendanator

Problems opening a file in studio5000

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have had to work on a new machine lately. I have the program on file in my laptop under Studio5000. When trying to just open the program if faults saying that( Logix Designer support for this revision is not installed: To open this project you must: Cancel and install Logix Designer support for firmware revision 20.01: Change the controller's revision and/or type in the project.) the controller I am trying to connect to is a CompactLogix5332E, type 1769-L32E. With Studio5000 I don't even have that option to choose that controller. So how is this project in Studio5000 when that controller in not even a option and studio5000 revisions start at 21. Any help is appreciated 

Thanks, 

Maybe you need an additional installation? (Such as an Add-On).

If you would be happy to upload your program- I can see if I can open if for you...

Not sure if my company allows that type of information to be shared I will have to get back with you on sending the program.

Thanks,

RSlogix5000 and studio5000 are revision specific, it depends on what the program revision is as to what revision of studio5000 you need installed on your PC

For example if the program is written in version 20 then you need version 20 installed on your PC to open it, even if you have a later version installed, say version30 it still won't open it, it has to be version 20

Steve

Thanks nehets,

I have went to Allen Bradley's website and went through there downloads and revision 21 is the lowest one for studio5000? Is there a way to convert the studio5000 file to rslogix 5000? To my understanding is that rslogix5000 stopped at revision 20 and studio5000 took over. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct, the only way to convert your application is to open in a compatible version then roll backwards or forwards as you wish.

The problem with rolling back a version is you may find lack of certain functions- leaving you with an uncompiled program, if its just for 'viewing' purposes then thats fine. If you are planning to load it in a machine you will need to be aware of whatever changes are needed in your code and you could expect slightly different functionality.

Edited by collinsd70

Thanks Collinsd70,

So if the machine has the program in it, can I try and upload it through rs5000? or would that not compare and fault?  thanks again

Again- you are facing the same situation you have before.

Lets say your CPU is running firmware revision '25', you will need Studio5000 version 25 in order to open the file. 

Once you have the file open then you are free to upgrade/ downgrade as you wish depending on the installed software versions on your computer.

My main virtual machine for example runs RSLogix5000 v10 all the way to 19- then Studio 5000 20-31. So I have the luxury of being able to open pretty much any program. 

Edited by collinsd70

Ok thank you very much this gives me a lot more understanding to work with.

Normally on a machine commisoning; the customer would be asked to specify machine firmware revision requirements- the reason is normally to avoid the exact problems you are facing.

As newer revisions are released- the software and hardware functionality also expands giving you better ways to look and analyse different conditions, the risk of downgrading firmware revisions at this stage potentially means some of your code will need to be rewritten and function tested.

RSLogix 5000 changed names around v20 or so to Studio 5000. Other than that, for your purposes here, it's the same software. It looks like you only have v21 installed.  You need v20 of RSLogix/Studio 5000.

Be sure to download the latest minor revision of v20. This major revision broke with Rockwell's normal practice with major/minor revisions in that you needed to match the minor revision of the software to the hardware, not just the major revision. And the minor revisions couldn't be installed together. The latest minor revision of v20 fixes that so that you can use the latest v20.x software with any v20 project and hardware.

If you convert the project to v21, you will also need to convert the hardware, which requires flashing the firmware and downloading the new project. This will wipe the processor memory.

If at all possible, get hold of the correct version of the software and install it. It should install alongside your existing software with no issues.Then you will be able to support the machine as-is. You can upgrade if you want, but there's probably no benefit to doing so.

As Joe E. stated, RSLogix5000 ended at v20 and was renamed to Studio 5000 at v21. However, all revisions use the same .acd file extension. All your PLC programs will show up on the start page, but you have to have the correct version of software to open it.

In addition to the software name change at v20 - v21, major hardware changes occurred. In your case, the CompactLogix L32E was capped at v20. The CompactLogix 5370 series was released for v21 and forward. So, you will need v20 or earlier to use with the L32E. It uses the same license. You just need the software. If it's not available on your current media and you don't have a TechConnect contract, try your A-B supplier.

1 person likes this

You need to download and install RSLogix 5000 your license should cover it. If not the Rockwell Download center will not let you have it.