Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anthony0307

CompactLogix Communication

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, I'm trying to establish communication with a CompactLogix L35E. I removed this processor from an used machine and I do not know the IP address. My Computer IP is 192.168.1.5. How can I establish communication? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Is the L35E the older family without USB? If so, it may be easier to use the serial port and the DF1 driver in RSLinx.If it has a USB port, I would use the USB port. Once you establish communications, you can go online and determine the IP address.

If the previous machine and programmers didn't use Ethernet, there's a chance it still has BOOTP/DHCP enabled. Use a BOOTP utility to see if it's broadcasting BOOTP/DHCP requests. Rockwell has one that's kind of reliable. Phoenix Contact has one too.

If it already has a static IP address, you need to know at least what subnet it's on. If you're lucky, the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx will find it as soon as your PC's IP address and subnet mask are compatible, as long as it's not the same address as your PC. There is some setting that our IT folks have changed in our group policies that keeps the Ethernet/IP driver working on our laptops. We have to use the Ethernet Devices driver, which requires that we know the IP address ahead of time.

You can use Nmap/Zenmap (portable version here) to run a ping scan to identify the IP address of the PLC. You will likely need to try several subnets to find the correct one if you can't make an educated guess as to what the address is.

The user manual for this processor includes some information about the RS232 and Ethernet ports, starting on page 25.

Having never been a big fan of BOOTP Utility.  I always attached the serial cable, configured the DF1 driver in RSLinx.  be sure to use Auto-Config to set the baud rate.  At that point, you should be able to expand the DF1 tree and set the L35E and it's ethernet port.  Right click and select port configuration.  From this dialog, you'll be able to see it's configuration and changing if you need to.  Then go back and configure an EtherNet driver with that IP address, at which point, you should be able to go online with RSLogix 5000.

Granted with today's PCs lack of a serial port, you'll also need a USB/Serial adapter.  Tripp-Lite Keyspan Model: USA-19HS is still around and very cheap.

Pull the battery, that'll blank it.