Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pcmccartney1

Logix Compare Tool v4.1 & Win XP

8 posts in this topic

Have a VM in Win XP and maintained it for more than a decade.  Attempting to run the Compare Tool v4.1.  Getting an error crashing the application, part way through compare of two projects.  Chasing the error down through Event Viewer indicates a stackover flow error in .NET4 and specifically the CLR.DLL.  Yes, it has worked for the entire decade.  Just won't run properly now.  Actually got RA to send me the original installer for 4.1, but that didn't help either.

There is a technote 59154 that talks about reconnecting to a drive or deleting the UserPreferences.xml.  Did this and still getting the same crash.  The note goes on to say check the Event Viewer repair the problem and retry the application. The issue is, I'm to dumb to figure out how to repair the CLR.DLL file.  Any ideas would be helpful.

RSLCompare Dialog.bmp

I pulled up my XP VM and found CLR.DLL with a date modified 2014-01-08. It's in the directory C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\

Would it help if I sent you that file? There is a Windows procedure for registering DLLs that you may have to do:

http://xperiencexp.blogspot.com/2006/01/how-to-register-dll-files-in-xp.html

ETA: the file itself is 6.6MB but it zipped to 3.19MB so I think I can PM it to you.

ETA2: I just sent it in a PM, so hopefully that helps.

Edited by Joe E.

Update

First of all thanks to Joe for his help.

Still no success.

Deleted, Re-Installed, viewed Microsoft Event Viewer and it's complaining about a possible corrupt CLR.DLL file and stack overflow issue causing the application to die.  Worked with Joe to get a copy of the DLL, managed to get it copied into the correct folder.    An attempt to register the DLL through RegSvr32 is met with an acknowledgement that it can be loaded but can not be registered.  More than likely it's PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

About the only thing remaining is to attempt rebooting in safe mode and attempting to register the DLL.

BTW RA Chat was of almost no help.  They did get me a copy of the original install executable for v4.1.  Otherwise says it's a Microsoft issue and of course XP isn't supported anymore.

Any other ideas out there?

Just a shot in the dark here. Can you save the files as an *.L5K and try the compare then?

Dillo!  It worked!

Just for giggles, I saved the compare of the L5Ks, then went back to a compare on the ACDs and it is now working.

Now tell me, what made you think of that as a workaround to comparing the ACDs?

12 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Dillo!  It worked!

Just for giggles, I saved the compare of the L5Ks, then went back to a compare on the ACDs and it is now working.

Now tell me, what made you think of that as a workaround to comparing the ACDs?

I remember a few years ago I had a similar issue. Now I just get in the habit of when I am going to do a compare of just saving as a *.L5K. 

Glad it helped and worked out for you.

Interesting....

The first thing the compare tool does, if you watch closely, is export the flies to *.L5K.

To Joe's point, with the ACDs, I watched it open both projects, convert to L5K, then start analysing through the controller, etc...When it gets to the module comparison, it would fail.  Still doesn't lend it self to thinking that if the files are already in the L5K format when the analysis begins, as to why it fails.

The Event Viewer complains about a stack overflow with regards to CLR.DLL within the .NET (v4) Framework.