Ron_S

How good are Mitsubishi plc's

6 posts in this topic

A customer bought a big 2nd hand machine that had not been powered up in at least 6 years.

They installed it all but it wouldn't turn a cog.

They informed me it had a Mitsubishi plc A2sh and the error light was on.

To my amazement, when I connected, the program was still there un-corrupted. 10K steps.

The error light was of course battery error.

Has anyone heard of a longer period?

I've pulled batteries from 2002 in 2016... so 14 years I suppose to hit the battery light.  (Continuously powered.)

I've also had a machine that's 5-6 years old and was unpowered for a year and the program was gone after sitting.

Personally I rate Mitsubishi PLC's  very highly for a number of reasons.

PDF format manuals are readily available for download online for free.

Modules and components are easily obtained both new and second hand at reasonable prices.

Mitsubishi PLC's are very reliable and also very easy to expand to suit almost every situation.

They are very easy to learn and program. There are many online tutorials and examples.

The above comments refer to AnS series, Q series and Fx series Mitsubishi PLC's as these are what  work with.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:08 PM, Ron_S said:

A customer bought a big 2nd hand machine that had not been powered up in at least 6 years.

They installed it all but it wouldn't turn a cog.

They informed me it had a Mitsubishi plc A2sh and the error light was on.

To my amazement, when I connected, the program was still there un-corrupted. 10K steps.

The error light was of course battery error.

Has anyone heard of a longer period?

haha I now of places where there are still big A-Series PLC's still running for over 25 years. 

On Quality nothing beats a Mitsubishi. Their Migration is also pretty good so i would suggest to exchange the CPU for a System Q or iQ-R.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/products/cnt/plca/ex/renew/renewal/index.html

The program can be converted converted quite easily there is a test program you can download for free.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/products/cnt/plca/pmerit/renewal/case/support_tool.html

I did tell them that it needed upgrading - but you know the story.

It's working, why spend money.

Here's an unusual story from that machine that some of you older ones might just have distant memories of.

I came the second day and it was powered down and the isolator would not turn on - it just clicked when you tried it.

No drawings of course and my obvious first thought was that the isolator was broken.

It was a big old Klockner moeller isolator and I eventually remembered that some have coils inside to latch them on.

I traced the circuits by hand and there was a separate 24V AC supply going out through the emergency stops and back to this isolator coil.

An E stop was pushed in.

This meant that the isolator would not even engage - and when the stop circuit was ok - -as you turn the isolator handle, contacts on the dead side power the 24V ac to power the coil.

and the isolator turns on.  It acts like a 200 Amp contactor.

Any e stop actuated during running drops the main isolator out.

I bet that is new to a few.

3 people like this

Always good to share info like that. You never know what you might run into tomorrow !!!