Timbercub

Barcode string parsing

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, long time reader first time poster.
I am an AB programmer through and through. Recently working on more and more omron gear and need a bit of a steer in the right direction.
I have a sick barcode reader communicating to a omron CP1LE PLC over serial. Problem is the value from the barcode reader is not value, it is sometimes multiple values separated by commas (,). I really wish to only have the first value before the comma in this long string stored in D200. 
I take it i'll have to move this string into individual container registries which i can easily go from there and pick which one I want to use. But how do I initially go about parsing the string in CX programmer?
Attached is a screenshot of what I have so far>
Cheers
Dave

Capture.PNG

Hi Dave,
Can you change the  sick barcode reader  to produce a start character sequence? This way you may be able to eliminate some the information that you need to search for in the PLC.
http://www.edata.omron.com.au/eData/PLCs/CP1/W451-E1-03.pdf
Look in the above manual for  '3-31 Text String Processing Instructions'
This will have several instructions that you can use to search, move or compare.

Regards,
Garry

Is there also a terminator?  If it is always sending just values separated with commas and a comma at the end, set your end code up to be a comma.  I would guess that this is probably not the case, that the end code is a CR + LF or something, but I thought that I would throw the suggestion out there.

The basics are:

1) Use the FIND$(660) command to return the position of the first comma in the string in hex

2) Use the LEFT$(652) command to extract the characters to the left of the comma to another string

You will probably want to subtract 1 from the hex value returned by the FIND$ command so that you don't get the trailing comma when you use the LEFT$ command. You may also want to use the DEL$ command to clean up the data left in the receive buffer.

1 person likes this

Hi All, Thanks for your suggested points.
Sorry about the late reply, I had an ill spell and ended up in the hospital>
Back at it again. Attached is what I think maybe the way to go, does it look right to you guys? 
Say for the find raw comma 'comma' variable, do I just set this once online to a comma?
Cheers Guys

Untitled.png