Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timk5000

EtherCat Configuration

9 posts in this topic

I have a project that requires 3 sets of IO In 3 different locations. I have attached a drawing of what I would like to do. But have not been able to get it to work. I have seen several different configuration examples in Omron manuals but nothing like what I want. I have been told by some that it should work.

Has anyone had success getting something like this to work.

Thanks

Omron Configuration.pdf

Yes, this will work.   If you already have this connected, use the compare and merge functionality (right click on the NJ CPU in the EtherCAT Settings page).  To make your project setup look like the actual setup.  Then download the settings to the NJ.  

Thanks Michael

It seems that when I try this configuration the EtherCat communications on both the PLC and the first EC201 fails. (Red Lights) In Sysmac Studio the Node address all match up. But all modules have X's . I have tried replacing the modules but all give the same result. If I remove the JC03 and daisychain the modules everything works.

I have also tried different cables. Node addresses are all different 1-4

Did you do a compare and merge, then apply the network to your project, then download the project?

Make sure that the proper node is connected to each port on the JC03.

If memory serves, the Slave Address for the GX-JC03 need to be written manually. It doesn't got set along during downloading the program.

After you download the EtherCAT settings, keep online to the plc, then right-click on the PLC unit in the EtherCAT window.
You will see the option to "Write Slave Node Address". There you can write the specified node address to the JC03.

innoaloe hit the mark... JC03 MUST have its node number software set.  There are no switches to set the node number, and it does occupy one node number.

23 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Yes, this will work.   If you already have this connected, use the compare and merge functionality (right click on the NJ CPU in the EtherCAT Settings page).  To make your project setup look like the actual setup.  Then download the settings to the NJ.  

Thanks to all. 

That was the problem, Once I assigned a address to the JC03 every thing started to come together. It now works as it should. However I have 1 issue.

I manually set the first module (Using the wheel on the module) to address 1
Set the Second module to address 2
And the third to address 3

In Sysmac Studio I set the JC03 to address 10 and Wrote it to the slave

When a did the compare and merge I ended up with different addresses that what I had set.  Modules 1, 2  and the Jco3 were the same as manually configured but module 3 showed address 0f 8. Not sure why it would be different.

But everything seems to work ok.

Thanks again 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:20 PM, innoaloe said:

If memory serves, the Slave Address for the GX-JC03 need to be written manually. It doesn't got set along during downloading the program.

After you download the EtherCAT settings, keep online to the plc, then right-click on the PLC unit in the EtherCAT window.
You will see the option to "Write Slave Node Address". There you can write the specified node address to the JC03.

I thought about this, but he specifically said that the nodes were set to 1-4, so I assumed that he had set the address on the JC03.  I guess that I should not assume anything.  Nice solution.

There's no reason Compare and Merge would report anything other than the module's configuration, I would double check your switch settings.