sparkzz

Connecting 2 HMI to 1 FX3 PLC

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I currently have an FX3 controller connected to a GOT 1000. I need to add an additional HMI into the system which communicates with the controller.

The GOT1000 is connected to the FX3 via RS422. There is an empty RS232 port on the back, can I connect via RS232 to the new HMI? Probably be a GOT 2000?

How do I do this?

Thanks

There's no problem connecting two HMI's to a single PLC, but I have some questions. Which RS232 port are you referring to? The FX3G and FX3U doesn't have built-in RS232 ports, do you have an extension board?

And which FX3 do you have specifically?

12 minutes ago, kaare_t said:

There's no problem connecting two HMI's to a single PLC, but I have some questions. Which RS232 port are you referring to? The FX3G and FX3U doesn't have built-in RS232 ports, do you have an extension board?

And which FX3 do you have specifically?

Hi,

Sorry I did not make this more clear.

The FX3 is connected to the GOT1000 via 422. The GOT 1000 also has a spare RS232 port where I propose to connect to the next HMI.

SO the connection would look like.

Fx3 --> Rs422 --> GOT1000 --> RS232 --> GOT2000

BUT I am unsure on how to configure it.

12 minutes ago, sparkzz said:

Fx3 --> Rs422 --> GOT1000 --> RS232 --> GOT2000

I've never done this on GOT's before, so I cannot answer if it will work (hopefully someone else will know). However, have you thought about distance? RS232 only goes 15m, so basically you want to have less than 15m between GOT #1 and GOT #2? And again, which FX3 do you have?

2 hours ago, kaare_t said:

I've never done this on GOT's before, so I cannot answer if it will work (hopefully someone else will know). However, have you thought about distance? RS232 only goes 15m, so basically you want to have less than 15m between GOT #1 and GOT #2? And again, which FX3 do you have?

It is an Fx3u-48M.  The HMI's are close together (5m) so this shouldn't be a problem.

OK, my guess is that it's doable but as mentioned I've never done it on GOT's before. The "issue" so to speak is that they do not get their own "channel" each down to the CPU. I remember doing this on Beijer HMI's using a special purpose data transfer protocol for intercommunication between HMI's. This is not a very clean solution since basically all data were transferred to the first HMI, then buffered and sent to the next HMI. Since it's serial, there is no way to open up additional "sockets" so they will never communicate with the CPU at the same time in any way. Also, if GOT #1 breaks down, GOT #2 will have it's comm link broken and stop working. As you might guess, my opinion is that this is not a very good solution. All in all, it's a little bit messy solution.

I would guess that GOT's also have this possibility, but I cannot confirm it as I have never tested it.

But in any way: Have you considered to add an Ethernet module to the FX3U PLC? That way both HMI's (plus possible other peripheral devices) could connect directly to the CPU and you wouldn't need all the extra fuzz... Alternatively, just add (if available slots) a BD card (RS422 or RS232) for the extra HMI. In both of these cases there will be instant access to data from both HMI's, if one breaks down the other one still function, and the setup and system will be a lot more clean (in my opinion).

On 11/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, kaare_t said:

But in any way: Have you considered to add an Ethernet module to the FX3U PLC? That way both HMI's (plus possible other peripheral devices) could connect directly to the CPU and you wouldn't need all the extra fuzz... Alternatively, just add (if available slots) a BD card (RS422 or RS232) for the extra HMI. In both of these cases there will be instant access to data from both HMI's, if one breaks down the other one still function, and the setup and system will be a lot more clean (in my opinion).

Agree with this probably the easiest way, we have a FX3U with 6 HMIs connected using unmanaged switch and Ethernet card on FX3U

Edited by matt_C_25