rdread

Panelview and SNMP Protocol

6 posts in this topic

I have a Panelview model 2711-T5A20L1 that the IT Dept. tells me has SNMP Protocol active. They want it turned off. Is it possible, does the device need this protocol? If it's possible to turn it off, how? I have search the knowledge base on AB.com and found nothing. I have done a search of PDF manual for "SNMP" and turned no results.

Thanks for the link, but that pertains to a PLC, and I know how to turn off SNMP in the PLC, it's just a check-box uncheck and reboot. What I'm looking for is how to disable in a Panelview.

If the OS is Windows CE, search for how to disable SNMP in CE.

A SWAG.:-(

The PanelView 550 ran a proprietary OS, so ordinary Windows tools won't do the job.

Ask the IT department to double-check to be sure they're looking at the right device.    I've never heard of SNMP being implemented on the  PanelView Standard terminals, and they don't show up in any of the Rockwell technotes or whitepapers about SNMP features or SNMP vulnerabilities.    I've read lots of third-party vulnerability search whitepapers on Rockwell products and PanelView Standard has never appeared in them.

If they're sure that the PanelView is responding to SNMP inquiries, I think all you can tell them is that they can't be changed or turned off.

Technote: 20490 indicated that from the PLC end SNMP and HTTP boxes should be checked if having communications issues. At least if your using a 5/05 and having communications issues, so id assume other Processors would want a similar setup. This maybe a reason to tell IT it should be left on.