Ericw

CC-Link IE + C#

13 posts in this topic

We have a controller written in C# and need to integrate a servo.  We are looking at the Mitsubishi servo MR-J4 line.  Unfortunately it doesn't support Modbus TCP but does have the CC-Link IE protocol.  Does anybody know if it is possible to talk to CC-Link IE via C#?   I'm having a helluva time trying to find an answer.  I see some thing about Seamless Message Protocol (SLMP) and CC-Link but the info is somewhat sporadic. 

Any advice is much appreciated as I've never worked with the Mitsubishi product line (but interested in their PLCs).

CC-Link IE Field is based on standard Ethernet, but I'm not sure if Mitsubishi releases the protocol specification. To be honest I doubt it. What type of controller do you have? Can you use ModbusRTU (which I think is built-in on the MR-J4)? Or a different option would be to use a gateway; use an Ethernet/IP servo amplifier and purchase an Anybus gateway:
https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index/anybus-xgateway/detail/anybus-x-gateway-ethernet-ip-scanner---modbus-tcp-server

There are several options, but if you could shed some light about your original controller it would be easier to give recommendations...

Thanks for the insight.

Our controller is a custom C# application that talks to all devices via Ethernet and Modbus TCP.  We really don't want to go serial or to add any additional hardware (cost and potential to break).  Since there are other brand servos out there that communicate Modbus TCP, it is hard to sell the team on having to buy an additional hardware module to get this to work.

The Mitsubishi Ethernet/IP servo amplifier is $250 more than CC-Link IE, so that makes it a tough sale as well and not as clean.

I do agree with everything you write and I understand your concerns. To be honest I think I would recommend you to get a servo amplifier that supports ModbusTCP directly. From what I know, Mitsubishi has released the CCLinkIE protocol for slave devices to partners, but only the "slave" protocol. You need the "master" to be able to control the servo amplifier.

As a last effort, you could investigate in MX Components (classes for .NET, including examples for C#). I'm not sure if it directly supports CCLinkIE, but I think it does. I did a quick search but I cannot find a specific statement saying it supports CCLinkIE, but you could check with a local Mitsubishi dealer. Maybe it does...?

I'm guessing this is a controller that will be used for several applications, so there's always an option to try and reverse-engineer the protocol if you have the resources and see a potential. I know there are Wireshark profiles for CCLinkIE Field, and you can always check out the CLPA (CC-Link Partner Association): https://www.cc-link.org/en/

I'm sad to say that maybe it will be easier and cheaper for you to choose a different brand than Mitsubishi in this case.

Thank you kaare_t.  I'll do more research but like you said, I'm afraid I'll have to go with another manufacturer.  I think another Mitsubishi servo line supports Modbus TCP, but apparently we need the MR-J4 to meet our needs.

Hopefully the PLC line is what we're looking for in the future.  There is so much competition out there it is tough to choose the manufacturer to go with.

If you're looking for the right Servo supplier Mitsubishi is the best buy as they are used by many CNC machine builders which is a good indication of their capabilities 
You have probably seen all of the MR-J4 features and that the encoder does over 4 million pulses per rev.

As for your application why would you not just use an FX5U PLC in between with an SSCNET module to the amplifiers in between.
This way you have the full features of the servo and the FX5 has a modbus tcp/ip server, datalogger and webserver.

Yes, The FX5 PLC plus SSCNET will be an additional cost (around $1000) but it will simplify your system and you have this set-up and running much faster & better.

@Gambit: My guess is that the topic starter builds machines/systems and delivers more than just one. That's why $1000 makes a different if you have 10 or 100 systems... I agree fully that Mitsubishi has great quality however adding another controller to an existing controller seems a bit too much "addon" to me when the topic starter clearly wishes to have an "embedded-like" system. I would rather recommend the topic starter to look into a fullblown PLC system for their application, and remove their existing controller. But then again, we don't know anything about what the controller is used for, so it's a bit hard to tell... @Ericw: Do you have the possibility to tell us more about your application and system-solution? Not that it's very important at this point, it would just be interesting to know...

Btw, @Gambit: Do you know if MX Components supports CCLinkIE Field directly via an Ethernet port?

39 minutes ago, kaare_t said:

Btw, @Gambit: Do you know if MX Components supports CCLinkIE Field directly via an Ethernet port?

@kaare_t

The problem is that most Ethernet ports only support 100Mbps for CC Link IE Field you needs a 1Gbps. Besides that if you could than it would not be certified by the CLPA. 

The solution would be to use the PCI boards for CC-Link IE Field.

As for the application of @Ericw the solution could also be to exchange to a servo Controller board in the PC or a PLC platform so the existing program can be reused.

CcontrolMRJ4.JPG

Edited by Gambit

kaare_t hit the nail on the head.  Yes, we are an OEM of a combination weighing machine.  We already have 30+ machines out there which a very developed controller.  The controller is also an all in one PC, so we can't add a PCI board.  Plus the cost couldn't be justified for one servo motor that doesn't have to do anything particularly special.  The servo will be used for a starwheel indexing system and possibly in another application, the indexing or tracking of pockets on a conveyor belt.

Ok I see.. And the application requires an MR-J4 ? The MR-J-E-C supports modbus TCP

Hi

It is correct that the MR-JE-C supports MB TCP.

Maybe the MR-J4-GF-RJ can be an option. It supports CC-Link IE Field and CC-Link IE Field Basic. 

If you set up this servo in CC-Link IE Field Basic mode it can be controlled by a standard 100mb Ethernet port. It supports the CiA 402 drive profile (mostly). 

But it depends on what kind of functionality you need.

Take a look in the linked manual to get a better understanding of the setup and protocol.

http://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/servo/sh030273eng/sh030273a.pdf

Thanks GreenMan!  I'm going to take a look.  All we need to do is home to a proximity sensor.  Then repeatedly send a command to perform a relative move x counts/steps and I'm assuming passing the velocity, acceleration, and direction as parameters.

Gambit, I'm going to ask why they recommended the MR-J4 line and not the JE.  I think it's because we need 110VAC and the JE line doesn't offer that.