Anh_21

Any question about Modbus FX3U block size & PLC mapping

8 posts in this topic

I'm working on PLC FX3U Modbus, i have several question that i don't really understand :

1. I wonder : Is the Coil is a block, the Inputs is a block and the Input Registers is a block only ? So the Modbus Memory Area has 4 block only (Coil, Input Registers, Input, Holding Registers) or One of them (e.x the Coil) has much blocks ?

2. Why in the Modbus manual they write Device code next to Size, and Size next to Head Device? Is the Head Device (D8471) first device of the block or something ? (Picture 2, Picture 5)

2. In the third & fourth picture :

Section 9.4.2 shows that the Device Code of D8470 has 4 bits, is it for the Device Code as 5H, CH, 0H in the MOV command? (Picture 3)

3. In the PLC Mapping column (Picture 3), D8470 is mapped from X0 -> X37. That's up to 38 bits, but the block size (D8470) is only 12 bits, with 2 Word. How does the D8470 contains from X0 -> X37 (38 values).

Please explain to help me, thanks.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Anh_21

Most of your questions are related to the Modbus Mapping in the PLC, and not the actual Modbus communication... May I ask what your problem with the default mapping is? And why is it causing issues for you? Is your master expecting/demanding different or other areas when requesting information from the slave (FX3U)?

I don't know why Mitsubishi chose to map the way they did. I've used ModbusRTU a lot and never really had a problem with the mapping...

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, kaare_t said:

Most of your questions are related to the Modbus Mapping in the PLC, and not the actual Modbus communication... May I ask what your problem with the default mapping is? And why is it causing issues for you? Is your master expecting/demanding different or other areas when requesting information from the slave (FX3U)?

I don't know why Mitsubishi chose to map the way they did. I've used ModbusRTU a lot and never really had a problem with the mapping...

Thank you for comment. I'm new to Modbus Mapping, and i have not see any error when programming. Everything is working fine. But i don't really understand about PLC Mapping of Mitsu FX. So i want to ask you clearly.

Edited by Anh_21

As @kaare_t said It is about config FX3U to be Modbus Slave.

FX3U only support mapping for coils and holding registers only.

You can create Modbus mapping maximum at 8 groups.

For each group can create maximum at 2048 blocks.

1 Blocks contain 16 coils or 1 holding registers.

In example at Modbus mapping device 1 you use D8470 and D8471

For D8470 have 2 sections that device type and block size in example use 5H for X input type and use 2 for block size 16 * 2 = 32 coils

For 1 word contain 16 bits that means 4 digits that means 5H(4 bit) and 002H(12 bit) when combined it will be H5002 you should use ---[MOV H5002 D8470]

and D8471 use for assign Head Start address in example  ---[MOV H0 D8471]

you will mapping X0 - X37 because FX Series are count X and Y in 8 bit format (X0 - X7, X10 - X17, X20 -X27 and X30 - X37) that means 8 * 4 = 32 coils

For your 2nd question it would use Modbus master command not slave command as your picture shown.

2 hours ago, Wasan said:

As @kaare_t said It is about config FX3U to be Modbus Slave.

FX3U only support mapping for coils and holding registers only.

You can create Modbus mapping maximum at 8 groups.

For each group can create maximum at 2048 blocks.

1 Blocks contain 16 coils or 1 holding registers.

In example at Modbus mapping device 1 you use D8470 and D8471

For D8470 have 2 sections that device type and block size in example use 5H for X input type and use 2 for block size 16 * 2 = 32 coils

For 1 word contain 16 bits that means 4 digits that means 5H(4 bit) and 002H(12 bit) when combined it will be H5002 you should use ---[MOV H5002 D8470]

and D8471 use for assign Head Start address in example  ---[MOV H0 D8471]

you will mapping X0 - X37 because FX Series are count X and Y in 8 bit format (X0 - X7, X10 - X17, X20 -X27 and X30 - X37) that means 8 * 4 = 32 coils

For your 2nd question it would use Modbus master command not slave command as your picture shown.

Thank you very much, i forgot that X & Y only keep address from 0 - 7, not 8...I understood.

But, as you said : For 1 word contain 16 bits that means 4 digits that means 5H(4 bit) and 002H(12 bit) when combined it will be H5002 <=== So, 002H is block size ? That mean when i convert 002H from Hexa to Int, it will be 2. And 2 is block size ?.

For the Holding Registers : these Holding Registers use 16 bit to represent ?

25 minutes ago, Anh_21 said:

Thank you very much, i forgot that X & Y only keep address from 0 - 7, not 8...I understood.

But, as you said : For 1 word contain 16 bits that means 4 digits that means 5H(4 bit) and 002H(12 bit) when combined it will be H5002 <=== So, 002H is block size ? That mean when i convert 002H from Hexa to Int, it will be 2. And 2 is block size ?.

For the Holding Registers : these Holding Registers use 16 bit to represent ?

For holding registers 1 word use 1 block.

56 minutes ago, Wasan said:

For holding registers 1 word use 1 block.

So, summary :

1 Groups contain 1 data type, e.x Coil data type. For example : inside 1 Coil data type Group, it can contains maximum 2048 blocks. And inside 1 block contains 16 coils. If i use WORD, it will be 1 WORD. Right ?

6 minutes ago, Anh_21 said:

So, summary :

1 Groups contain 1 data type, e.x Coil data type. For example : inside 1 Coil data type Group, it can contains maximum 2048 blocks. And inside 1 block contains 16 coils. If i use WORD, it will be 1 WORD. Right ?

Yes alright