Patrik Arvhult

C-mode hostlink library for NJ/NX1P or CP1L

8 posts in this topic

Anyone knows if there is a C-mode hostlink library for NJ/NX ?

Also, a C-mode hostlink library for CP1L could be helpful, to translate such a library to work with NX1P is probaly less work whan writing a new library. 

Maybe Omron France has developed such a library? - they seem very active..

Background:

Looking into writing a programmatic c-mode hostlink master for NX1P12, this is for connecting the handheld NSH5 HMI to the NX1P12 via RS232C using a CIF01.

I have the hardware set up, and an machine built, expected some compatibility efforts by Omron.... but the NSH5 seems to talk C-mode hostlink, and the CIF01 only seems to support

the FINS version hostlink.

On the NJ you can of course add an SCU module, thus not need a library.  But working with NX1 ( due to limited space available ), you are dependet on available CIF-modules which do not support C-mode hostlink.

I do not think that you will find a C-mode hostlink library for the NJ/NX.
Here is the manual that gives a good overview of both protocols and reasons for each one.
https://www.myomron.com/downloads/1.Manuals/PLCs/CPUs/W342-E1-14%20CS_CJ_CP+HostLink%20FINS%20ReferenceManual.pdf
" C-mode commands are specialized Host Link communications commands. They are issued by a host computer and sent to a CPU Unit. The devices that can be connected for serial communications are the CPU Unit, a Serial Communications Unit, and a Serial Communications Board."
"  FINS commands are message service communications commands. They do not depend on a particular transmission path. They can be used for communications on various networks (Controller Link, Ethernet, etc.) and for serial communications (Host Link). They can be issued from a CPU Unit, Special I/O Unit, or host computer, and they can also be sent to any of these. The specific commands that can be sent depend on the destination. "

I'm not sure of your application, but what about using AdvancedHMI for communication.  The Omron drivers are already in this free product.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

Just a thought. Regards,
Garry

Thank you.  I do think some older HMI.s behave like a computer (typically cx-programmer):  only using the c-mode part of hostlink for PLC-communications. For exampe the NT3S-ST126B-E  has no FINS settings. c-mode is enogh for reading/writing CIO, DM, HR after verifying that the PLC is in monitor mode. To mee It seems it is the same for the NS-series HMI:s regarding RS232C; using hostlink without FINS-support.

..there are the different designations: "Hostlink" and "Hostlink(FINS)". Using NX1P12 with CIF01, "Hostlink(FINS)" is the only available of theese two protocols, which, I think, exclude c-mode support - "Hostlink" -  that some older HMI:s might need to work.

!! Today I found out Omron France acually have made a library for creating c-mode hostlink for usage with NX and CIF. It only supports words ( DM ) and do note support multiframe. Will go onsite and se if their library gives enogh functionality to work with the NSH5 handheld HMI.

https://www.support-omron.fr/details/documentation.php?id=2018-06-20%20-%2009-17-01%20-%201709090909

5 hours ago, Patrik Arvhult said:

!! Today I found out Omron France acually have made a library for creating c-mode hostlink for usage with NX and CIF. It only supports words ( DM ) and do note support multiframe. Will go onsite and se if their library gives enogh functionality to work with the NSH5 handheld HMI.

https://www.support-omron.fr/details/documentation.php?id=2018-06-20%20-%2009-17-01%20-%201709090909

Nice find. The manual states that the FB not only supporting DM, but IR, HR, and LR registers as well.

Solved. The Omron France library was for the wrong end/direction. Did write my owm CPM2A c-mode hostlink emulator running on the NX1P12.

Essential thing not mentioned in the hostlink manual: "CH" designates words ( channels ).

Can you share your code for others at MrPLC?:dance: