LURBY

Import data to Micrologix 1100 via Excel?

7 posts in this topic

I have written a fairly complicated (at least for me) program for a Micrologix 1100.  I am controlling several Kinetix and Powerflex drives over Ethernet.  There is also a Panelview 800 in the system as well.

I have a large list of "parameters" that might change over time.  These are not drive parameters but PLC integer and string values.  They are values that change the feeds and speeds of the drives based on the part that the client wants to run.

Is there a way to upload or write to the PLC that doesn't require RSLogix500?  I would like the client to be able to edit a value or two if they want to make a change.  I just don't want to have to be there every time he wants to do it.  I have heard about writing data to Excel but wasn't sure if there was a way to do it the other way.

As I write this I realize that it probably can't be done but I thought that I would ask.  Maybe someone has a brilliant idea!

Thanks in advance

You have an HMI, so why not just use the HMI for writing the data?

The AdvancedHMI software has a component called a RecipeButton. Using a text file, you define a list of PLC addresses and values you want to write to the PLC. When the RecipeButton is clicked, it will read the text file and write the group of values to the PLC. This second post on this forum thread gives an example of using the RecipeButton:

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2041

The software includes a driver for the ML1100, does not require any AB software, and is no cost to use.

Disregard my earlier post. I misread that you wanted to read data out of the PLC.

Now that I re-read the post, I'm not so sure I provided a good solution.

Is the goal to edit individual values in the PLC? If so, wouldn't the PanelView do the job? 

Are you wanting a PC based solution to edit values in the PLC, which is why Excel was mentioned? In this case AdvancedHMI could be a solution, but not necessarily with the RecipeButton.

It will take a significant amount of Visual Basic programming in excel macros but using OPC Server Software {RSlinx OEM or Gateway, Kepware , amd others} and the OPC server / client model you can move data between your PLC and Excel sheet cleanly.  As I recall the downloads section of this website has a couple of examples.