LD_M

CJ1M-CPU13-ETN Connection Issue

21 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have an issue in connecting with CJ1M-CPU13-ETN unit.  I tried connecting using ethernet, and also with serial cable, but I got always a connection failure.

Our plant just received ( from our affiliate plant ) an enrober machine with its cooling tunnel system.  This machine has been idle for more than 10 years.  The affiliate plant has no backup files available, so I talk to the OEM, and ask for a backup copy of the plc program.  I was given a copy of the program, but when I tried to open it, it was a corrupted file.  I tried communicating again with the OEM, but to no avail, might be because the machine is already phased out.

I powered up the machine and connect with PLC, but I get a communication / connection failure.  I tried connecting using the ethernet switch, as well as the periphery port, using USB to serial converter and CS1W-CN226 cable, but still a connection failure.  All dip switches are in OFF position.

The plc setup is: CJ1M-CPU12-ETN + SCU41-V1+ ID211+OC211_TC102.

On the wiring schematic diagram, the IP address of the PLC was shown, I can ping the address and the return signal is good, no losses.  I tried to connect also directly to the ethernet port of the CJ1M, using a cross cable, but still I get a connection failure.  I also tried scanning the setup using the etherway application, which I downloaded from the forum, and I can "see" the plc ip address.

Is there any other option I can take, to connect with the PLC?  I am attaching some photos of the PLC, as well as the communication failures.  This is my first time to encounter this kind of issues.

Note: 

I also posted this topic, attaching to an existing thread " Connecting to a OMRON PLC ", since my issue is somewhere related to the topic.

Appreciate your assistance very much.

Thank you,

Leo

P_20180715_154223_LL.jpg

P_20180715_155752_LL.jpg

P_20180715_155803_LL.jpg

P_20180715_155830_LL.jpg

P_20180715_162129_LL.jpg

You cannot connect via Ethernet/IP. This is an older PLC and does not support this protocol.  If you want to connect via Ethernet port then you will have to use FINS.

For the Peripheral port (Serial - Toolbus), make sure DIP Switch 4 is set to OFF.

Alternatively, you may use the 9 Pin Serial port. Set DIP Switch 5 to ON and this will force the PLC to use Host Link, 9600, 7,E,2. You'll need to make a Host Link cable.

Hi IO_Rack,

I am not yet familiar using the FINS protocol, to connect to the CPU.

I will try again the Peripheral port connection.  The previous connection  made was with dip switch setting all OFF, but I still cannot connect.  

As for the hostlink cable, please advise if the pin assignments were correct.

PLC ------------------------------- PC

2  ---------------------------------  2

3  ---------------------------------  3

9  ---------------------------------  5

4,5 - bridged    -------------  4,6 Bridged

--------------  7,8 Bridged

Thanks.

Leo

FINS is more difficult. At least I think so. To the best of my knowledge, you'll need to know the IP address, Network address and Node address to connect.

Your Host Link cable pinout looks correct. This is probably going to be your most dependable option with a PLC in which you do not know the settings.

Hi, 

I got the cable pin configuration for RS-232 host link cable, code: XW2Z-200S-CV.

I will make the cable and try to connect, using your information.

Cheers,

Leo

FINS Ethernet comms is not that difficult.  Start a new project and choose CJ1M as the PLC type and set the processor as CPU13.  For the network type, choose Ethernet (as shown below):

CJ1MNew.jpg.ef0f0b36cc476c751e2f3ee13ad7

Click on the settings button (red box).  

5b4f3941c9c64_FINSIPAddress.jpg.ef92b338

Then click on the driver tab (shown above).  Make sure that the workstation node number (the workstation is your PC) matches the last Octet of the IP Address of your laptop.  From what I can tell, your IP Address is 192.168.0.245.  If the greyed out node number is not 245, uncheck the auto-detect box and type in 245.  Then enter the IP Address.  Press OK a couple of times and then try to go online.  If it works, you are good to go.  If not, this also assumes that the node number on your CJ1M (dials on the front) is set to the same as the last octet of its IP Address (192.168.0.250, so it should be 250, which is FA in Hex).  If the dials are not set to FA, then click on the network tab in the last picture and change the node number to match what the dials are set to (I used 1 in this example, as if the dials were set to 01).  See below:

Oddnode.jpg.cb2f4826b37d09ce1325db6663df

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your info, I was able to " open " the CX-Programmer menu, but I cannot connect online. 

I tried to scan using Etherway, and with FINS, there is an error " No communication can be made, because the target machine is actively refusing it 192.168.0.250 "  What does the error mean? I will have to read the FINS manual to understand, as much I can understand.  Since I am not familiar with FINS, I am now stuck already.

I hope these photos could somehow help in assessing my problem.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Leo

P_20180719_195325_LL.jpg

P_20180719_195339_LL.jpg

P_20180719_200452_LL.jpg

P_20180719_200539_LL.jpg

I don't know what Etherway is and I am not sure what your PLC IP Address is at this point.  Please tell me your PLC IP Address and your PC IP Address.

The Etherway is an app, I downloaded in the download section of this forum. 

My PC address is 192.168.0.145 and the PLC address is 192.168.0.250  I can ping the PLC address and the return signal is 100%, no losses.

The CX-Programmer is v9.6, and I am using it to connect with other CP1E's PLC with no problem.

The HMI is currently not connected in the switch, I am still waiting for the replacement HMI unit.  Will the missing HMI in the network, affects the going online / connection procedure?

Thanks.

Leo

41 minutes ago, LD_M said:

The Etherway is an app, I downloaded in the download section of this forum. 

My PC address is 192.168.0.145 and the PLC address is 192.168.0.250  I can ping the PLC address and the return signal is 100%, no losses.

The CX-Programmer is v9.6, and I am using it to connect with other CP1E's PLC with no problem.

The HMI is currently not connected in the switch, I am still waiting for the replacement HMI unit.  Will the missing HMI in the network, affects the going online / connection procedure?

Thanks.

Leo

If your PLC IP Address really is 192.168.0.250, insert that to the "Remote IP" section in the EtherWay before attempting Connect.

Following that, since your last octet of PLC IP Address is 250, set the DA1 column of the FINS Header part to FA (hex format of 250).
Also, since your last octet of PC IP Address is 245, set the SA1 column of the FINS Header part to F5 (hex format of 245)

Also rather than using TCP Mode, I'd say use the UDP mode first, since it is connectionless and easier to troubleshoot.

@Michael Walsh EtherWAY is another tool developed by Omron France. I'm not sure whether that or MultiWay got deployed first though.
https://www.support-omron.fr/logiciels/etherway/produit.php?ref=etherway

Thanks innoaloe, I will try this method once I go back to the plant.  

Question : Do I still need to use the CX=Programmer to connect online? or I can connect using the etherway, only?. 

Regards,

Leo

You still need CX-P to do "actual" connection, where you can see the ladders and everything else. EtherWay at it's best can just help you to test whether the communication is possible or not. If using EtherWay is possible, then you need to replicate the settings used in EtherWay to your connection settings in CX-P.

For example if EtherWay via UDP is possible, that means using the "Ethernet" (not Ethernet(FINS/TCP) or Ethernet/IP) communication method in CX-P is possible with the settings :
Net = DNA
Node = DA1
Unit = DA2

Thanks to all, I was able to connect to the CPU, and uploaded the program.

Cheers,

Leo

Thanks for the feedback. Did you use FINS/Ethernet or Serial connection?

Hi IO_Rack,

I used the FINS connection as described by Michael.  I also received the ordered HMI, and connect it to the network. 

I then followed the instructions of Michael, on how to connect using FINS, and was able to go online and uploaded the program.

Thanks to you guys who helped me.

Cheers.

Leo

Hi guys,

Is there an option in CX-Programmer, wherein we can change the comments language?  I have uploaded the program, and the comments and IO descriptions are in turkish language.  Is there a way to translate or convert the language to English?

I am translating the I/O's description using the google translate ( one by one ), and maybe there is a better and faster way to do it.

Also, how do you get backup / upload, a softcopy ( program ) from the SCU41-V1?  

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Leo

I know of no other method to translate than to do as you are doing. One by one.

To switch then languages, go to Edit > IO Comment. Here you can input up to 16 different comments for each address. Use the 'Switch' button to set your Display Target.

Are you sure the SCU41-V1 has a program in it? What is connected to it? Is it using a custom protocol?

The settings are stored with the CX Programmer project. Be sure to chose 'Unit Setup' then 'Transfer[Unit to PC]. If the system is utilizing a custom protocol then it was developed using CX Protocol. CX Integrator will be used to upload/download, to/from the SCU-41-V1. I haven't done this in a very long time. When I did, I called an Omron expert to help me with the procedure. I'm sure someone here can help if it is necessary.

Edited by IO_Rack

On 8/7/2018 at 3:13 AM, LD_M said:

Also, how do you get backup / upload, a softcopy ( program ) from the SCU41-V1?  

There could be a protocol macro stored on the card.  If so, use CX-Protocol to connect to the card and upload the protocol from the card.

17 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

CX-Protocol to connect to the card and upload the protocol from the card.

Apparently it has been too long ago for me. I just looked up that old project. Michael is correct. He usually is!

@IO_Rack

On 8/8/2018 at 2:41 PM, IO_Rack said:

Are you sure the SCU41-V1 has a program in it? What is connected to it? Is it using a custom protocol?

A serial cable was connected in port 1 of the SCU card, this serial cable then terminates into another serial card.  This serial card has 10 serial connection outputs, which controls the VFD. I also do not know what type of protocol being used, as this machine was just suddenly revived from being idle for 10 years.  Thanks for the tip, in changing the comments, and how to switch from the main comment ( display target ).

In the SCU unit setup, I can see the parameters, and I wanted to have a program backup, in case the plc hardware will have problems in the future.

@Michael Walsh

19 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

There could be a protocol macro stored on the card.  If so, use CX-Protocol to connect to the card and upload the protocol from the card.

Could you please give me a guideline, on how to do it? I don't want to do something, which I could not return to, since this is all I have at the moment.  No more support for the machine OEM, so I want to be sure that what I am doing is correct.

The serial cable is connected to port 1 of the SCU,  Can I use port 2? or port 1? what type of cable to use? Normal RS-232 or there is a special kind of cable. 

In the manual of CX-Protocol, it was not specified the communication cable wire connections, I will try to look for other info, regarding the cable pin out.

Thank for your assistance.

Regards,

Leo

IMG_20180809_154611.jpg

The manual that is installed with CX-Protocol describes how to upload the protocols in section 11-1-3.  You can find the manual here:

5b6c4f7d9e1cd_CX-Protocolmanual.jpg.1b25