5 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of doing a retrofit for a old PLC5 and i decided to upgrade it to a Control Logix. With how much I/O I was needing the price of the system was going to be very pricey. So I decided to use my main rack as a control logix and use Flex I/O for my remote racks. I have never put together a Flex I/O rack so I am unsure of what I need for this rack other than my I/O modules and a communication module. Could someone give me a list of what is needed for these systems? 

Sounds like you are going in the right direction.  The flex is an older remote i/o system but it is solid and I prefer it over point I/O or remote racks.  If you use the AENT communication module then you can just drop it off of an ethernet I/P connection which is fairly straight forward.  In addition to the I/O modules, you will need compatible terminal bases such as the TB3.  Each I/O module will need to be evaluated for compatibility to the proper terminal module, but the I/O documentation is detailed about which modules pair with which terminal blocks.  I would stay away from the 32 point modules as the wiring is less straight forward.  The 16 point discrete modules and 8 point analog modules make wiring pretty intuitive.  You get 8 modules per drop so you will need to plan accordingly on that. 

1 person likes this

@PLCMentor.comHow do these modules connect together? It doesn't seem like they require a chassis or anything like that. From what I can tell they all kind of just snap together and you din rail mount them. And as of power supplies I am assuming that each set of 8 that I have will require there own power supply? 

Edited by AkumaShi

We've used Flex IO extensively and can vouch for its longevity and sturdiness.

The terminal bases snap onto DIN rail side-by-side and have a sliding connector that engages the unit to the left. Then the I/O module snaps into the terminal base.

They have an -AENTR module that's a dual-port communications module that would let you daisy chain the racks on Ethernet/IP instead of making home runs to switches.

Example:
The 1794-IA16 module (16-point 120VAC input module) uses the 1794-TB3 terminal base. You would need a 1794-AENT or -AENTR for each Flex chassis. If you have sufficient 24VDC power available where each chassis is to be mounted, you don't need a power supply.

Their "Integrated Architecture Builder" is very helpful when you're trying to figure out what "supporting components" you need for a particular platform. It's part of their product selection toolbox which can be downloaded here:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/product-selection-configuration/overview.page?pagetitle=Control-Systems-Configuration-Tools&docid=01503dfdb8a20bf09c86944a6f44364b

1 person likes this