Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Bill Bresnahan

Control logix good or bad

4 posts in this topic

So for those who have used it what do you think?? Last year the company I have just joined almost lost their shirt when they built a few machines using ControlLogix. Their own programmer could not make it work and neither could all the other programmers the AB lent them.  It seemed that the "virtual axis" they wanted to use kept losing time.  I know that soon I will have to address this issue on newer machines I'm building and I would like to hear from others about their experiance.   wnbresn@aol.com

I don't think you can judge the whole Control Logix platform based on the one experience, just the motion algorithms. I haven't tried gearing to a virtual master.  I will try it soon and see if I have the same problem.  It would be nice to know exactly what didn't work. What version of Control Logix firmare were you using? There are other motion controllers that can do gearing and camming the use Ethernet/IP for communications.  The gearing, camming, and sequencing  is done on the motion controller instead of across the back plane.  This off loads the main CPU and reduces wiring since now you don't have to run all those wires back to the computer room.

I agree, All of the positive's far outweigh the negative's. And I know some things were kinda shakey (softwarewise) in the early releases.

The first time I used Logix 5550 they were on release 2.51 when I was done they were releasing 6.0.  Yes, this was a learning curve and hair pulling at times.  But when your riding the cutting edge you have to expect to get a few cuts.  I'm glad I went through it, there is a lot of power in the Logix5550.