Anthony Leonardo

CompacLogix 1769-L36ERM

5 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, I'm new in this Forum and I need help setting up an IP Address for a brand new CompactLogix 1769-L36ERM. Can anyone describe to me step by step how to do it? Thanks

You'll need the BootP utility.  This assumes the PLC is fresh out of the box.  If the PLC was previously set with a IP address and/or the BOOTP setting in the PLC is turned off, this procedure will fail. This is the procedure I use:

Connect a ethernet cable directly from your PC to the PLC.

Disable all ethernet ports other than the one you are using to connect to the PLC.

Open the BootP utility.

With the PLC powered up, you should begun to see requests from the PLC for settings.  Embedded in the request will be the MAC address of the PLC's ethernet port which you should be able to verify against the label on the PLC.

Select the request and press the ADD RELATION button.  The dialog will ask you to fill in the desired IP address. Press OK to close the dialog.  The tool will send the necessary message to the PLC to temporarily set the IP address.

Not long after you'll begin to see messages in the ENTERED RELATIONS window at the bottom of the tool.  At this point you can select to disable the BOOTP - DHCP settings in the PLC to make the IP address "permanent" (the setting will survive a cold reboot).  If not disabled, the PLC will again request a IP address after a cold re-boot.  There will be an acknowledgement of the change in the BOOTP-DHCP setting at the very bottom of tool.   Many times it says it failed, don't worry, this can be changed elsewhere, either in RSLINX or directly thru RSLogix/Studio 5000.

This was mostly be memory but the most important thing is that you become familiar with the Ethenrt/IP Commissioning Tool.  There are different ones available, some geared for a specific mfg, but for the most part they do the same thing.

1 person likes this

The other way to do this is to make the initial connection with USB via RSLinx and configure this way.

Establish the connection via USB- downlod your program- then right click on your ethernet module in the controller organizer.

Once you have done this- there is an option to assign the IP address (think its the 2nd or 3rd tab along), unlike BOOTP- you dont need to disable anything afterwards.

Thank you jstolaruk and collinsd70 for your helpful information.  After being out the PLC's field for five years, I'm trying to comeback since my current job  you requires me to do some PLC's programming. Since this is a brand new processor out the box, the next step would be to flash the processor to make firmware compatible with the RSLogix 5000 version on my computer which is V20. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have an idea how to do this step but I would like to have some advice from this Forum.

Thank you in advance.

When you try to download the program from RSLogix 5000, it should prompt you to flash the firmware.

Also, you can configure the network settings from within RSLinx via the USB connection before downloading the program.