collinsd70

Kinetix 300 Hard Limits

8 posts in this topic

Hi All.

Does anyone know if the Hardware Overtravel Limits on the Kinetix 300 can be disabled?

The only option I have in Studio/RS Logix 5000 is to generate alarm only or Stop Drive.

For now I have bridged the signals high permanently and I have soft limits configured in my parameters.

I was able to disable hard limits for the Kinetix 2000 but this option doesn’t seem to be available for the 300’s

Edited by collinsd70

Hi Ken.

Thanks for your response- I tried both settings and both seem to stop the drive completley- ie no MSO can be executed.

I have been unable to find any further information on this- so I think the hard limits will just be permanently wired high.

I'm not sure there is an overall answer to your question.

I've had to hardware or short the hard travels limits occasionally.  I would strongly suggest that you do enable and set the soft limits to prevent damage to the machine and the servo.

Keep in mind that these might also have to be dynamic as you may be "Homing" and zeroing your axis based upon external means, i.e. a proximity switch or limit switch.  If someone were to change the position of this switch and you don't re-evaluate the soft limits, you might introducing a possible crash condition.  I would also ensure that any positional motion commands can not execute if the position is outside the soft limits.  I would expect the drive to realize this and fault on it's own to protect the machine and the servo.

no MSO can be executed.

Are we talking about a Kinetix 350, or a Kinetix 300 ?

The 300 has the browser/java configuration interface and is a standalone or treated-as-an-IO-adapter device with ControlLogix.

The 350 works as a CIP Motion axis, and is configured entirely within Studio 5000 Logix Designer.   That's the one you would use a Motion Servo On (MSO) instruction on.

I installed four Kinetix 350's on a project where I had no hardwired overtravels, and had to use CIP MSG instructions to turn off the Overtravel feature (it's stored in NVRAM so it's permanent unless you load new firmware).   I just made those MSG instructions something we toggled once when setting up the machine.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/467773

FYI if the Kinetix is a 300.  I'm commissioning a project that has one and I was unable to execute the browser/java app that is MotionView without going back to Java Version 7; newer versions, 8 & 9, complained about a security issue. The drives firmware can also be upgraded.  Its explained in the Knowledgebase article 1044877 if you get stuck.

Edited by jstolaruk

I am using Kinetix 350’s...

The firmwae version is very low (v2.xx I believe) so may explain why I dont have the functionality to disable/ enable these.

The machine is being shipped Friday wired as is- but thanks to everyone for their feedback.

It has been a few years, but I ran into a situation with the K300 continuously generating an E06-Hardware Overtravel fault that would not go away.  The fix per Rockwell...add 1.5K 2W resistors in parallel with each extreme limit input (stray electrical noise sensed as an extreme limit input ON condition).