Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Karim Halawa

1769 SDN Devicenet Scanner

4 posts in this topic

I am experiencing problems with 1769 SDN Devicenet Scanner and i need to replace it by new one .

I need in details the steps required for replacement .

I already have a backup file for the devicenet network with all connected devices ( Powerflex - remote I/O ) . 

Karim,

Hopefully, the backup file you have is a *.DNT file.

You'll need "RSNetworks for DeviceNet" and the "DeviceNet Commissioning Tool" (it is usually accessible from within the RSNetwroks for DeviceNet).

You'll need to be able to access the DeviceNet scanner via RSLinx and generally via EtherNet port on your PLC.

Please understand that all DeviceNet products are set at the factory at Node address 63.  From your DNT file and "RSNetworks for DeviceNet", you should be able to determine that actual address of your old scanner module.

Then using the "Commissioning Tool", you need to change it's address and baud rate to match the current settings for the old scanner.  Before doing so, I would probably also leave the fieldbus cable unattached from the front of the SDN to make sure the new scanner (factory default address of 63) does not collide with another node on the network.  After the change of address and baud rate are completed, you should be able to re-attach you fieldbus cabling.  Also, be aware, that dependant upon your actual network fieldbus cabling, you might need a terminator resistor on the fron of the module to be installed.

At this point you should then be able to go online with the module and download the scanner's configuration.  The caveat is that the PLC that hosts the SDN will need to be in REMOTE PROGRAM mode.  Meaning you will have to stop your process.  Once the configuration is downloaded, you should be able to put your PLC back into REMOTE RUN.  Hopefully, the PLC has some code to do a delayed startup and "Enable" the scanner and then the scanner should start reading and writing to the VFDs.

The alternate method, if you can't stop your process, would be to have a duplicate setup of your current PLC and associated IO modules in a test bench arrangement.  Then move the programmed scanner to your live system.

2 people like this

Thanks PCMCCartney1 for your reply.

Just to make sure i am understanding well what you mentioned above .

The steps are as below :

1-Upload the backup file from the scanner .DNT  using RSnetworks for devicenet software .

2- install the new scanner physically .

3- change the address and baud rate of the new scanner ( as the address of the old one )

4- Change the PLC mode to Program.

5- Open the saved backup file .DNT .

6- Go online with the new installed scanner and download the file .( the old one is 0 and the new one is set to 0 , should i have any conflict ? )

7- change the PLC mode to run mode .

please let me know if the above steps are accurate .

looks correct to me.