Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartguy

electronics project using PLC

11 posts in this topic

Hi! I wanna make electronics project using PLC. I have very little knowledge in plc and controles but i m suer if u guys help me , i will able to make it. First of all i have no idea wat to make. other guys in my class r make on amplifier, radio, sensors..... i m planning to make simple and small project. which might include microcontroller. my budget is around $300-$400. any plc will work as i m good at none so any idea??

You could use the PLC to control many things. Process equipment, automated assembly, conveyors, ect. It seems that the most widely used (or at least inquired about) student application with a PLC is the "STOP LIGHT". It is a simple process but it uses many functions such as timers, counters, bit shifts, ect. You may want to consider this one. As for the PLC itself Automation Direct.com has a PLC for around $100.00 Software is $99.00 Programming cable is $30.00. It is a very capable unit and it is not too bad to learn to program. (http://web2.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_05/PLC_Units/D0-05AR

Thanks Rday! But i dont get wat u mean by STOP LIGHT? what is the application? is it like trafic signal? This kind of simple project will be great and i appricate more input from u abt this. as i said i have very little knowledge so i need more help regarding parts and plc. its same as u r explaning a grade 1 kids how to write ABC.... Smartguy

Smartguy Sorry. I should have said traffic signal. I sometimes forget that others may not be familiar with my terminology ("Hick-nees"). You could use a few panel lights to simulate the traffic lights and with a few push buttons you could even have pedestrian crossings (walk/don't walk). This simple application can have many variations too. Some traffic lights switch to 4 way flash after a certain time of the day. Some switch to sensor mode during light traffic hours, a prox or photo eye could be used here. Some have turn lane signals, ECT, ECT. It would only be limited by the number of I/O you have. It is a fairly straight forward program but it forces you to think about sequencing and logic. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thaks Rday, I will start working on it from next week so i will need more help from u n other members. i will keep updating

One good news and one bad news! Bad news is my praposal for trafic signal is rejected. Reason- too simple n easy, even a monkey can make it ( ya nothing but a stupid teacher) Good news is now I will make a robot So the project will be more electronics, hardware n software. I dont know how I gonna do it but I will do it if u guys help me So basically project will be interfacing microcontroller with outputs. I will have motors for driving robot. I m planning to put camera on it and might use temprature senser to show temparture. Anybody have ever made it or any idea! any good web contaning schamatics n software coads? Lets see how it goes! Smartguy

It's funny that you should say this... I help out a group of high school kids to build a robot every year in a program called FIRST (usfirst.org) They used a spec'd controller (PIC micro). This year it has a camera onboard. You can check it out here: http://www.ifirobotics.com/ The default C Code for the robot + camera is here: http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/frc-code-1...12-2005v2.4.zip

Once again I have to change my project. someone was already working on robot project. Now I m working on door security system. and its final this time already start working on ckt. The only trouble is Assembly language . after using PLC I hate doing machine level programming.

How about building or using the on board pulse width modulator to control the speed of a small 24v d.c. motor. The code will allow ramp up and down of the motor from interaction with an encoder. You can use a OMRON photoelectric device EE-SY310/-SY410 (under a£5) to be the encoder as it has 24v switching capabilities (if you are in the UK it is available from RS) For a motor check out MFA/Como Drills, because you can by a small gearbox motor for under a £10 with a wide range of operating voltages and gear rarios, either from maplin electronics or RS (UK only I think)

It's probably too late to try this project: Minty It's amazing what you can do with technology....

Very nice like that a lot.