Praful Kumar

POWER FLEX 523 DEVICE NET COMMUNICATION

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I need help in configuring the device net communication with our CGA software.

I have established the communication by setting the baud rate and node address ( MAc ID).

All the three indication is in healthy condition but drive is not getting the start command from our software. is their any list of parameter which i need to look into it ? can any one please help ?

Paramater P046 start source should be serial Dsi or network opt please suggest.

523.jpg

This family of drives typically would have a 22-COMM-D DeviceNet adapter board for DeviceNet comms.  Is this communication board installed?

PowerFlex drives typically come with DHCP enabled.  Have you disabled DHCP whilst you were configuring the IP address?

What version of firmware are the PowerFlex drives running?  Drives often ship with a very early firmware, expecting the user to download and install latest firmware.

The PowerFlex 523 and 525 families can be programmed via FREE Connected Components Workbench.  Without having a Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLC program to reference (which would give you status of all drive internal parameters), you should download and install CCW (requires a FREE Rockwell user account).  

The attached work instruction should give you some insight into these tasks.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley PowerFlex 525 VFD Startup.doc

From my reading of the manual, P046 should be set to "Network Opt":

"Select this setting if using the optional PowerFlex 25-COMM-E2P, 25-COMM-D, or 25-COMM-P adapters as the start source."

10 hours ago, kaiser_will said:

This family of drives typically would have a 22-COMM-D DeviceNet adapter board for DeviceNet comms.  Is this communication board installed?

PowerFlex drives typically come with DHCP enabled.  Have you disabled DHCP whilst you were configuring the IP address?

What version of firmware are the PowerFlex drives running?  Drives often ship with a very early firmware, expecting the user to download and install latest firmware.

The PowerFlex 523 and 525 families can be programmed via FREE Connected Components Workbench.  Without having a Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLC program to reference (which would give you status of all drive internal parameters), you should download and install CCW (requires a FREE Rockwell user account).  

The attached work instruction should give you some insight into these tasks.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley PowerFlex 525 VFD Startup.doc

Hi kaiser,

Thanks for your valuable information, yes the communication board is installed and the communication is established.

Do we need to configure the IP address  in device net communication? i guess its required for Ethernet communication.  

10 hours ago, Joe E. said:

From my reading of the manual, P046 should be set to "Network Opt":

Hi Joe,

Thanks i will check with this parameter.

Each device on a DeviceNet network needs it own address, called nodes, usually node 63 is left out as any new device will have that node number by default, and most time node 0 is the DeviceNet scanner but it does not need to be.

Alan.

1 hour ago, alan_505 said:

Each device on a DeviceNet network needs it own address, called nodes, usually node 63 is left out as any new device will have that node number by default, and most time node 0 is the DeviceNet scanner but it does not need to be.

Alan.

Node address is set for both the drives but do i need to make all digital inputs to not used as it is controlled over device net ?

5 hours ago, Praful Kumar said:

Do we need to configure the IP address  in device net communication? i guess its required for Ethernet communication.  

DeviceNet and Ethernet/IP are different worlds, so no.  The Ethernet/IP address is set after you disable DHCP and enter the new IP address (and cycle power).  Use a BootP utility to configure Ethernet/IP address and disable DHCP.

6 hours ago, Praful Kumar said:

Node address is set for both the drives but do i need to make all digital inputs to not used as it is controlled over device net ?

I would set all inputs to not used. We had an issue once where we were experimenting with a drive and one of the inputs was set to activate a preset frequency. Even though the drive was set to look for its speed command over Ethernet/IP, when that input came on it over-rode the network setting. If none of your inputs are wired, you can probably just leave them alone but it would be a neater job to set them to "not used".

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Joe E. said:

I would set all inputs to not used. We had an issue once where we were experimenting with a drive and one of the inputs was set to activate a preset frequency. Even though the drive was set to look for its speed command over Ethernet/IP, when that input came on it over-rode the network setting. If none of your inputs are wired, you can probably just leave them alone but it would be a neater job to set them to "not used".

Thanks Joe, 

My problem is resolved. Thanks to all of you.

I have  one another issue 

We have New fan – 208V 3 Ph , connected to the Power flex 523 model of RA rated for Input / output   , 480/480 V . But we have programmed the Drive Output to 208V due to Fan rating …

The problem we faced today is like , when we start the drive with Fan connected , the drive is tripping with error of   PHASE SHORT .  Checked all the wiring and found  thing in okay condition .The only programming we did is to set the output volatge to 208.  The FAN phase to phase winding ohmic values are 0.8-0.7 ohms , which vendor ( Ashland ) has confirmed is correct .

We are understanding , whether we need to do any re-check on programming due to low output voltage set ? Do we have any further programming parameters to be set according to the dropped Output Voltage…

fan wiring.PNG

Fault - Phase Short => Fault #F041, F042, F043; the VFD detected one or two of the three legs with more current than the others.  Verify with a multimeter that each leg-to-leg is not shorted.  

You need to setup all motor nameplate parameters: P031-Motor Voltage, P032-Motor Hz, P033-Motor Overload Current, P034-Motor Nameplate Full-Load Amps, P035-Motor Number Poles, P036-Motor Max RPM, P038-Motor Voltage Class, P044-Maximum Frequency

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520-um001_-en-e.pdf

10 minutes ago, kaiser_will said:

Fault - Phase Short => Fault #F041, F042, F043; the VFD detected one or two of the three legs with more current than the others.  Verify with a multimeter that each leg-to-leg is not shorted.  

You need to setup all motor nameplate parameters: P031-Motor Voltage, P032-Motor Hz, P033-Motor Overload Current, P034-Motor Nameplate Full-Load Amps, P035-Motor Number Poles, P036-Motor Max RPM, P038-Motor Voltage Class, P044-Maximum Frequency

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520-um001_-en-e.pdf

All the motor name plate parameter is configured Motor voltage is set to 208V. while giving the start command immediately drive goes to fault state.

As the motor is Star winding we will get the continuity over phase to phase and resistance measured is 0.8Ohms.

Is there any parameter which needs to be feed for star winding motor.

Have you entered motor nameplate info into drive parameters?

Have you tried to auto-tune?  Auto-tune can create more problems than fix.

You have metered all 3 legs of fan motor to ground and all 3 are not shorted?

You have a Wye-connected 208V 3-phse fan motor on the load-side of the VFD, ground tied to center tertiary of the fan motor?

Is the incoming power to the VFD Delta or Wye-connected?

What is the Acceleration time set for the VFD to get up to speed (P041)?  Extend P041 time; reduce P044 (max freq); set P039 to 0 (V/Hz mode).  This will help in just getting the VFD to start and stop the fan for now.  With P039 = 0, A530 (Boost Select).

How far have you dug into this issue?  This Rockwell A-B tech note will help.  https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1063350

yes motor name plate details has been entered , I guess Auto-tune is not possible in this configuration because drive is of 480 V O/P and motor is of 208.

Drive O/P voltage is set to 208 V .

Motor RPM is 11700, Motor current is 14 A. its 4.4 Kw Motor from Ashland.

Incoming of the VFD is Start Connected and motor is also start connected.

Acceleration time is set for 10 sec , P39 is set for 0(V/Hz). Still its not getting started by giving the start command immediately in fraction of sec it goes to phase fault. response time for this fault is in micro sec.

Specifically which faults are you getting when trying to energize the VFD?  Let the drive display cycle through ALL existing faults. 

Install Connected Components Workbench, get connected to the problem VFD, and go online to dig further into the details of alarm history.

Are you getting F041 (Phase U-V) & P042 (Phase U-W) & P043 (Phase V-W)?  If you are not getting all 3 phase shorted faults, the VFD may be telling you that this fan motor has failed.  However, if you are only getting one phase shorted fault, and you have metered the windings and did not find a line-to-line short, then this fan motor needs to be meggered (with a motor megger - tests the motor windings).

Hi kaiser,

Its F041- Phase U-V fault, 

i have total 5 motor all are having the same fault.

Fan supplier has confirmed that they have tested 100% functional test but that is only in mail, They don't have any test reports to show.

is their any thing which

I would verify the wiring of the motors and make sure that, if they're dual-voltage motors, that they're wired for their highest voltage rating. I would also measure the motor winding resistance by disconnecting the UVW Leads at the drive and measuring there instead of at the motor. You may have some wires crossed at the connector or at an intermediate junction box.

If all that is good, you might reach out to your local Rockwell distributor if you don't have a support contract to get to them directly. They don't recommend running lower-voltage motors on higher-voltage drives:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/560054/

(Access level: everyone, requires a free account).

I doubt that's the problem, but it could be.

1 person likes this