Veganic

Safety controller

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with programmable or networked safety circuits. Does anything stand out as better than the rest?

I have some experience with a couple of options but don't want to muddy the waters by giving my opinions first.

We have three Banner XS26-2 safety controllers in the plant.  I've been quite pleased so far.  Pretty simple to program, options for Ethernet monitoring, expandable.  I've done some training workshops with the Rockwell Guardmaster and didn't find it nearly as easy to work with, even though we are a Rockwell shop and I've used Connected Components Workbench on a number of projects.

Thanks, I'll take a look.  Is it just the software that marks it out?

Does it have any higher communication to talk to a PLC?

Edited by Veganic

That's probably #1 for me.  As another data point, the first controller we installed has been running for about two years now with zero issues.  For that one, we had the base controller with five expansion relay output modules.  Our local pricing is also pretty attractive, especially compared to the Rockwell safety controller.

I've worked with several safety controllers in my career.  Some involve networks and some don't.  Can't say one is any better than the other, except from the standpoint of the time to install, and cost of wire and conduit.

18 hours ago, Crossbow said:

I've worked with several safety controllers in my career.  Some involve networks and some don't.  Can't say one is any better than the other, except from the standpoint of the time to install, and cost of wire and conduit.

Thanks.  Yes, I have seen distributed systems with remote intelligent units (ie networked), some that seem to be a ring configuration and some that seem to be star.

All with pluses and minuses.