AutomationIntern

Integrating an HMI to transfer data between 2 plc's

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm trying to nail down the best option of HMI for an application. I want to display a value from a SLC 500 plc (503 and 504) on an HMI and use the HMI to copy the value to a tag that can be sent to a controllogix plc via ethernet IP. As i understand it there are a few different HMI's that have a tag copy or tag transfer capability which should be able to do this. Has anyone done this or something similar so i can confirm that this is a viable option?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Try Red Lion DSP.  The DSP is gateway or protocol converter that handles things like this with ease while having a HMI for display purposes.  It low cost, usually around $500 to $600.

There are proponents on this site of Advanced HMI.  I think it's PC based SCADA type of software.  I personally have never used this before, but you should probably check it out.

Let me elaborate a little bit more.

If you were using Rockwell's PanelView Plus, you could setup two device shortcuts.  Additionally, you could create macros that would transfer them from one tag to another.  But these are generally screen macros.  You might be able to configure a global macro that runs periodically.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Thank you for that recommendation! I will definitely do some digging into that product.

If you have a higher-end panelview plus (the PV+6 Standard or PV+7 Performance), you can connect your HMI to multiple machines. If it's the PV+6 Compact or PV+7 Standard, you can only connect to one PLC. The Red Lion G3 series or DSP will connect to both PLCs at the same time with no issues.

AdvancedHMI has native drivers for both PLCs and also has a ComBridge component that reads from one PLC and writes into a register of another. Very simple setup:

- Add an instance of both drivers to the form

- Set the communication properties of each

- From the Toolbox, add a ComBridge to the form

-Set ComComponent to point to the driver of the PLC you want to read from

- Set PLCAddress to the source address (e.g. N7:0)

-Set ComComponentTarget to the driver of the PLC you want to write to

-Set PLCAddressValueTarget to the address you want to write to (e.g. MyTag)

- Run the application

It's a no cost solution except for the PC (as low as $100) to run it on a the few minutes to create the application

Edited by arj3090