collinsd70

SERCOS II ---> Ethernet/IP.

7 posts in this topic

Hi All.

I have been tasked with engineering a new PLC program urgently. My employer has given me a week to convert an original piece of code that ran Motion Control across SERCOS II- now onto the Kinetix 2000 Series via Ethernet/ IP (also a pneumatic drill will now be an additional servo axis)

Having a quick look through the code- my main concern is the conversion of the variables that were originally on the SERCOS II DUT ("AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE") and now are using the variables in the "AXIS_CIP_DRIVE" DUT (Ethernet/IP). The variables between these 2 are not identical so this leaves a lot of uncompiled tags.

The main tags that do not compile include configuration words, actual velocity and other important tags that currently handle the motion logic in the main routines.

My main question is- Is there an official conversion manual or guide on which variables can be used as a replacement between the 2 data unit types?, I have seen on the AB forum that similar questions are being asked but doesnt seem to be any straight forward replies.

Considering I have "1 week" to convert all these tags, create a new motion group with necessary logic for another servo, adjust the IO tags and complete the HMI develpment for this machine- this seems like a lot to take on.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

I just googled it, then searched on the Rockwell website and did not find any Sercos to Ethernet/IP conversion guides. Rockwell has a "Application Technique" here:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/motion-at006_-en-p.pdf

Not sure if it will help you though.

1 week is not a lot of time. Maybe the programming can be finished in 1 week but testing will probably take longer.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:39 PM, collinsd70 said:

Hi All.

I have been tasked with engineering a new PLC program urgently. My employer has given me a week to convert an original piece of code that ran Motion Control across SERCOS II- now onto the Kinetix 2000 Series via Ethernet/ IP (also a pneumatic drill will now be an additional servo axis)

Having a quick look through the code- my main concern is the conversion of the variables that were originally on the SERCOS II DUT ("AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE") and now are using the variables in the "AXIS_CIP_DRIVE" DUT (Ethernet/IP). The variables between these 2 are not identical so this leaves a lot of uncompiled tags.

The main tags that do not compile include configuration words, actual velocity and other important tags that currently handle the motion logic in the main routines.

My main question is- Is there an official conversion manual or guide on which variables can be used as a replacement between the 2 data unit types?, I have seen on the AB forum that similar questions are being asked but doesnt seem to be any straight forward replies.

Considering I have "1 week" to convert all these tags, create a new motion group with necessary logic for another servo, adjust the IO tags and complete the HMI develpment for this machine- this seems like a lot to take on.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

You didn't tell us what controller you're using...

Edited by adohm

Its a compact logix L36-ERM...the original CPU used had Ethernet/IP and SERCOS whereas this CPU only has Ethernet/IP hence why everything now needs to be coded under the CIP_DRIVE DUT.

I found a document that gives equivalents of variables between the 2 data types- but unfortunatley there is not a direct equivalent between the 2 protocols for all the variables. Managed to get down to 2 uncompilable tags- the only way to get around these will be to re-write the logic using the data from the new structures

Edited by collinsd70

46 minutes ago, collinsd70 said:

See attached file if anyone needs this info.

AXIS_SERVO to CIP_DRIVE.pdf

Not an AB guy... but there is no direct conversion for this kind of issue. You are swapping a protocol to another here. The document you provided there is like a comparison table of Sercos vs Ethernet/IP.

I don't know whether AB have Function Blocks for the EIP drives or not, but I believe they have for the Sercos one.
You cannot reuse these Sercos FBs obviously, and need to reprogram the PLC using the way EIP way.

Innoloe.

I completely agree with you- however it does list with some variables; what the evuivalent is in the Ethernet/IP Protocol.

There are some variables used in the CIP_Drive that do not have an equivalent in the other protocol and vice versa.