Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gtsol

does s7-200 support Absolute Encoders?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect an absolute encoder to an S7-200 Siemens PLC? (directly or with expand card). Thanks in advance. George

What kind of absolute encoder? What is the output format?

i don't know... any output that is supported by the PLC. I have seen at the internet some that communicate by ethernet or TCP/IP or bitparallel.I have heard of a type that sends 8 bits to the plc and it connects to the inputs of the PLC (this is bitparallel?). I don't know i don't care any type that is supported by a S7-200 plc

The PLC will handle an absolute encoder just fine. I have never tried any of the networked encoders (TCP/IP , modbus, etc) but the bit parallel is simple. The points to consider are: Does the output of the encoder match the inputs of the PLC? (24vdc is usal for the PLC but most encoders are 5vdc). Is the output from the encoder in binary or grey code? (Grey code can easily be converted to binary with logic). The speed of the encoder movement. (if the encoder travels to fast for the input of the PLC, some positions may be missed)