Til123

PLC 5/15 to Kinetix 300

5 posts in this topic

Hi, has anyone ever managed to communicate with a Kinetix 300 servo drive from a Plc 5/15? We have DH+ on the PLC and Ethernet ip on the drive? I have seen the 3rd party network bridge but have no experience on how this works. The hardware looks easy enough it's the comms/messaging I need help with

Cheers

I haven't done this before. I just did a google search and found this:

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/EtherNet-IP/EtherNet-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway

It says:

"Drive:

This mode supports upgrading legacy Allen Bradley drives on Remote I/O to new EtherNet/IP enabled drives.

• No changes to PLC code required
  • Supports up to 4 EtherNet/IP drives
  • Configurable with 1/4, 1/2 and full rack addressing
  • Supports all PowerFlex drives on EtherNet/IP "

I did use some other hardware from Prosoft and their user manuals and phone tech support were pretty good.

Hope this helps.

I was going to suggest Prosoft but I haven't done this particular application either, so I decided to wait and see if anyone else had. We've used their DH+ to Ethernet/IP gateway to connect a PC to a PLC and to connect an HMI to a PLC but never a drive to a PLC over RIO. We've also used their Profibus to Ethernet/IP gateway to trade information between some Siemens and AB PLCs with good success.

I'll say that their instructions were very easy to follow to get the gateway talking to the AB hardware but far less clear getting it to talk to the Siemens devices. I ended up calling their tech support for the Siemens side.

What data, exactly, do you need to get from the PLC-5/15 to the Kinetix 300 ?

Do you also have any available "rack" addresses on the RIO scanner channel available on the PLC-5/15 ?

Are you replacing an existing motion controller ?

The concern I'm looking ahead to is that you might need to send a 32-bit unsigned integer to the Kinetix 300 as a position setpoint, and be unable to generate that type of data in the PLC-5/15 easily.

Hi Ken,

The Kinetix is to replace a stepper motor controller card, pulse expander card, and a encoder counter card. There is rack space. I'm not sure of the required size of integer until I receive the drive. The current system has several rate changes and position  feed back to the PLC

Cheers