Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Allen123

Remote I/O Choices

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some recommendations for remote I/O choices. I would like to create a standard remote I/O panel design for our product that would allow us to connect the panel to either a CompactLogix system over EthernetI/P or a Siemens system over Profinet. I'm not married to any particular manufacturer for the I/O and I don't mind having to change the part number for the communciation adpater between applications.

I primarily use less than 16 digital inputs, 16 digital outputs, and 4 analog inputs on any given remote I/O rack. On rare occasions we will have an analog output or two. It's for water treatment processes, so response time is not overly critical - ms response times are more than sufficient.

My local vendor just sent me a cut sheet for Turck's BL20 line with the multi-protocol Ethernet interface. That looks very promising. Does anyone have any experience with this line?

I've also looked at Wago, Siemens, and Phoenix. They each have their +'s and -'s from my desk, but I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who's actually put them into service. I'd also love to hear other recommendations.

Industrial Panel PC Manufacture at http://www.szjawest.cn/

I use Weidmuller Remote IO. Havent had any issues so far.  (Called U-remote)

Have also seen a lot of the Turck BL20 in OEM machine which also havent given any issues in a long time

Edited by cHud

I tinkered with some Turck I/O as a trial and it went pretty well using a ControlLogix. We also used an SMC modular valve block with some input modules in a CompactLogix project. As I recall, they had a module that would support Profinet, but I could be wrong. Most of them that I've seen (including that SMC block) only support one or the other, even if the manufacturer supports both. You have to buy either the Ethernet/IP module or the Profibus one.  I think the Turck module supported both protocols out of the box. We never ended up using one, though, since that project fell off the radar screen.