Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slwagner73

Taking Screen shots

13 posts in this topic

So.... a lot of you on this forum seem to know how to do this, so I am going to ask here.

How do you take a screen shot, and then post it so I can explain easier what I am struggling with?

Scott

I use a utility called Greenshot which allows you to capture any area of the screen you want and send it to a printer or save it as a file.

On my laptop I just press  [FN]+[Print Screen] then past into paint or similar. 

[FN]+[ALT]+[Print Screen] just screenshots the active window. 

Windows 7 came with "Snipping Tool" which I use to capture a region of the screen in one step without having to crop it. Other than that, using [Fn] + PrntScrn grabs the whole screen. I use virtual machines for everything, so I sometimes don't get what I expect using that method, though, depending on which machine (VM or host) has focus. Once I have the image, I just save it to the hard drive and drag it to the browser window below where I'm typing where it says "Drag files here to attach...", then hit the "+" icon on the image to embed it in the post.

Second vote for Greenshot.  Used to use SnagIt at work, but Greenshot has almost identical features and is free.

Thanks all, I will look for Greenshot.

Scott

Along with Greenshot you may want to install a PDF printer device such as PDF995 or Foxit so that you can print your screenshots as a PDF file.

So, Green shot, and the snip-it tools both work!

Thanks for replying!

Scott

Do not know what operating system you are using? If it's a Windows operating system, use the "Snipping Tool"!

I love the snipping tool on windows 10, win+shift+s drag over the are you want then paste it wherever you need it, i find it very useful to be able to email people snippets from manuals and such

Edited by Bobodopalus

I use PicPick under the PortableApps.com  Can take it anywhere and use it.  It has many other tools bundled with it that I haven't used yet but look interesting.

You can also install it local if you like 

for screen capture i use one little program that i made. it is a tiny self contained EXE file that runs on any 32-bit or 64-bit windows and it does what i want it to do, for example i can tell it to use specific key. handy when taking screenshots on machines and robots which usually run older OS or don't have full keyboard. 

for editing, ... anything goes,,,but usually IrfanView (small, speedy and very powerful). some cleanup or highlight may be done with Paint too since is it s almost everywhere. 

Snipping tool is nice but it is not on every windows and associated 3-key key combination is rather ... brutal. 

btw even if one is not into PC programming, one can still quickly make small apps like this using scripting tools like AutoIt3, plus it includes option to compile it into EXE for true portability.