Dmytro Taranets

Studio 5000 Task Monitor Comms IO Monitor

5 posts in this topic

Good day.

We are currently trying to optimize one of our large projects to get the best scan time possible. We are using Studio 5000 Task Monitor to see what performance split we are getting. I found that I can't find any descriptions of the meaning of CPU usage pie chart. For instance, there is nothing to tell us, what does "Comms IO Monitor" sector means? It goes up and down when I change tasks priorities and timings for periodic tasks but I can't figure out what it does exactly. The only clear bit is "User Tasks" sector, what is pretty obvious. Could you please help me with this? I asked Rockwell Support here in UK but they were not really helpful with this.

Any information/manual/link will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dimi

Performance_PieChart.JPG

When you say trying to optimize to get best scan time possible, are you modifying task scheduling to get a repeatable and fast scan time?  Which Logix processor are you utilizing?

Good afternoon again. My apologize for long delay in reply, it was one of those weeks :doh: . First of all, thank you very much for looking in to the issue, I think it worth of adding some more details to it.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, AndrewG said:

I've never used this before, but I found this document online:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/downloads/rockwellautomation/pdf/solutions/integrated-architecture/LogixTaskMonitorInstruction.pdf

Thanks AndrewG, I've seen this manual before. Unfortunately it doesn't provide any details of what is exactly being represented by different parts of pie diagram and which settings may improve/decay individual parameters. Thank you very much anyway.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, kaiser_will said:

When you say trying to optimize to get best scan time possible, are you modifying task scheduling to get a repeatable and fast scan time?  Which Logix processor are you utilizing?

We are trying all possible combinations, including different priorities/period settings/etc. The best result we can achieve so far was the combination of periodic tasks settings (period time plus priority levels) + split call for the routines (i.e. each routine being call in sequence, some of them on first scan, some on second etc.) We are using L73S CPUs. We are working with our own PCS (Buhler WinCos) and hence we are restricted to the particular order of subroutines, place for programs/controller tags (i.e. we can't move subroutines between tasks etc.). We would like to move on L83ES CPU but we are not sure when those one is due to be released (our bets tests showed incredible performance boost).

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Dmytro Taranets said:

We would like to move on L83ES CPU but we are not sure when those one is due to be released

Interesting, last week a Rockwell representative came to my company to do a presentation and said the L8x controllers were "coming soon" but did not give an exact date. (This was in the Northeast US)