Muhammad Suri

Rockwell CompactLogix PLC

9 posts in this topic

Hi There,

I am using the following Rockwell PLC parts.

1768-L45  CPU

1768-ENBT Ethernet/IP scanner

1769-SDN Devicenet Scanner

1769-OV16 Sinking output module

1769-OB16 source output module

1769-IQ16 sink/source input module

In the RSLinx I have a red X marks on all of last four  modules mentioned above. Same thing happens in RSNetworx for DeviceNet when I try to go on line.

Does any one have any clue how to get rid of these red X? Please refer to the attachment for the screen shots of RSLinx and RSNetworx for DeviceNet. Please contact me with any questions.

My laptop is connected with 1768-ENBT via a CAT5 cable. The 1768-ENBT module works fine and it does not have any red X on it. The red X is on DeviceNet scanner and the three I/O modules. I also have two DevicNet slave modules on the Network but these modules do not show up in RSLinx or RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

I am desperate for help because I need to meet a project deadline.

V/R

RSLinx.docx

Do you have a 1769-ECR on the end of it?

Yes. I do have the terminator 1769-ECR. I forgot to mention that in my last communication.

If you remove the SDN, can you see the rest of the modules?

TW,

Does he need a 1769-PAx or PBx to get bus power to 1769 bus or does the 1768-PAx or PBx provide power to the right side?

I still have the red X on all three I/O modules even after I removed the 1769-SDN from the back plane. Please refer to the attachment.By the way my 1769-SDN is a brand new module. I bought it last week and my old 1769-SDN had the same issue so I thought may be I have a bad 1769-SDN but looks like that was not the case. 

RSLinx 1.docx

Let's back up a little bit.  Have you created a program and downloaded to the L43 complete with the IO Configuration?

Do I must create a program first in RSLogix5000  and download it into the 1768-L45 controller, before I configure my DeviceNet network? At this point I am trying to establish a connection (using RSLinx) between my laptop and the 1769-SDN, devicenet scanner and eventually to all of my devicenet nodes. I have three nodes on the network. My RSNetworx for devicenet does not see anything on the network. I guess this is because, RSLinx is not doing its job.

This sounds like a damaged 1768-L45 controller or damaged 1769 backplane connector, or a conflict between the 1769-SDN firmware and the rest of the components.

You absolutely should be able to "see" the 1769 I/O modules when you browse the backplane with RSLinx Classic, and your screenshot suggests that you do.   But shortly thereafter the communications with those modules fails and you get a red X over the modules.

I would delete all the modules from the RSWho browse and try to browse again, just to establish if you have basic connectivity with the 1769-SDN removed from the assembly.

The firmware compatibility is described in the Rockwell Knowledgebase as article 462381 (Access Level: Everyone)

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/462381/page/2

Because you have a 1768-L45 controller you will be limited to v20 firmware, which means you should not try to upgrade the 1769-SDN over the backplane.    Borrow a 1784-U2DN to do this upgrade over the DeviceNet network port, or have your local Rockwell distributor or sales office help you upgrade the 1769-SDN if it is not already at version 4.004.