Andrew Grimm

Messages between CompactLogix and SLC 5/03

9 posts in this topic

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to pass a little bit of data between a SLC 5/03 controller and a compactlogix? The current problem I'm working through is the SLC 5/03 does not support Ethernet (only RS232 and DH485). So now I'm trying to find a solution.

Thanks,

I would use a red lion DSPGT protocol converter. It’ll “speak” CLX tags via Ethernet and SLC registers through the serial port

Hmm, interesting.. Maybe my real best option is to replace the SLC/03 with a SLC/05. Or to recreate the communication median around the DH485 instead of ethernet.

Maybe. The Red Lion is under $900 and my kid could program it to do what you need it to do. Actually he does but I don’t think 33 qualifies him to be a kid :)

2 people like this

I checked into the Red Lion DSPLE000 module. Looks pretty straight forward.. Basically what I want to do is read an analog input on the SLC and pass that value into the compactlogix also. There are more details but basically I'm passing data from the SLC to the compactlogix so the compactlogix can do its own control. 

I guess this converter would work for that purpose. 

1 person likes this

The cheapest version of their protocol converter will work for what you are doing. I think I gave you DSPGT. That one has a webserver and other fluff that wouldn’t be useful to you. I don’t know how close they are together but an AO wired yo an AI would work if they are in the same panel or near each other. 

If you’re using UDT’s in the CLX and have trouble pulling the tags (because you can’t see them in the tree) it’s because you to tell the RL what the UDT contains. I’d have to look in the software to give you more detail. It’s easy to add the UDT but not necessarily easy to figure out the first time. 

Their tech support has always been outstanding 

Ok. I was looking at their DSPLE000 model which is the most basic. For my application, I just need to pass some basic data back and forth. Thanks for the input.

Is the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 serial port available ?

The Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-ENI module allowed this kind of connection;  the CompactLogix could send a message to the Net-ENI as though it was an SLC-5/05, and the device would translate that to RS-232/DF1 protocol and get the reply from the SLC/PLC/MicroLogix attached to the serial port side.

It's slower than a native Ethernet port, but it works.

A-B stopped making the Net-ENI last year, but a company called Real Time Automation in Wisconsin makes a very good replacement device:

https://www.rtaautomation.com/product/515rtaeni/

I would even say that the RTA-ENI is better than the original because it has some extra features (like the web interface) and more capacity (10 TCP connections instead of 4).   They were so intent on drop-in replacement that you can use the old A-B configuration software if you want.

1 person likes this

I did have a look on the 1761-NET module and the serial port is available. I'll consider this option also.

Many thanks