Luca82

Function to read IO LInk parameter

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, this s the first time I write in the chat and  I hope someone can Help me!!

I'm working with an NJ CPU, and in the Ethercat network I have got an IO Link Node. I saw there are two FB useful to read and write the parameter of any IO link devices connected to the port of the master IO Link (i can set the Index and the Subindex of the IODD of the device). The matter is that I don't find this istruction in the Hardware catalogue of the Cpu, of course I'm working with the last version of the Sysmac Studio... Perhaps I have to download some library and load them to the Sysmac Studio?

Thank you for help me, and sorry for my english. Have a nice evening all.

Luca

Those two FB itself contains the help file you needed to understand how they're supposed to be used. Just press F1 after clicking on the FB.

For Index and Subindex, instead of searching through manuals, it is easier if you open CX-ConfiguratorFDT program (should come along with installation of Sysmac Studio) and trace the IO-Link sensors through it. Any properties you want to access will have it's Index and Subindex (basically memory address) shown if you right-click on it (e.g. Operating Hours)

For any properties that doesn't have Subindex, it means you put zero as the Subindex in the FB

1 person likes this

Hello Innoaloe and thank you for answering. I got what you mean about the functions, and I will try it when I can put them  in the program... But my biggest matter now is that I can't find it in the Sysmac Hardware catalogue, and even thought I use an empty FB and I try to write the name of the function nothing appears!! 

Do you think I can download the functions by Web to the OMRON site? 

As you know after that do have I to load the library in the Sylmac? 

Thank you again. 

Have a nice day. 

3 hours ago, innoaloe said:

Those two FB itself contains the help file you needed to understand how they're supposed to be used. Just press F1 after clicking on the FB.

For Index and Subindex, instead of searching through manuals, it is easier if you open CX-ConfiguratorFDT program (should come along with installation of Sysmac Studio) and trace the IO-Link sensors through it. Any properties you want to access will have it's Index and Subindex (basically memory address) shown if you right-click on it (e.g. Operating Hours)

For any properties that doesn't have Subindex, it means you put zero as the Subindex in the FB

Hello Luca, can you inform what firmware Sysmac Studio, and what firmware version of the NJ you are using right now?
The IO-Link hardware, if memory serves me right, was only available after NJ firware version 1.17 and above. If you create a project with firmware version below that, it won't show up in the hardware catalog

Of course the project I'm working on has been created with an old version.... Currently I'm using the version 1.20.1 and I suppose it's the last.... I opened that project with this version, anyway I can not see the FB in the hardware catalogue. 

It's for that I thought I need to load them from a library.... 

Thank you again. 

Sorry, I mentioned previous post wrong.

What I mean is that prior to Sysmac Studio 1.17, there is no IO-Link FB available.
Also, if you have open a project made from previous SS version, most likely the NJ firmware version will be lower than 1.13. This will also cause the IO-Link FB not to pop up in the catalog, eventhough your SS is already 1.17 or higher.

So what you need to do is converting the NJ firmware via SS (right click on NJ logo then Change Device), then change it to 1.13 at minimum. This also means your real NJ hardware must  have the same  firmware version as well.

First I'm going to check the firmware of my NJ  Cpu, and if it's older than the version 1.13 I will change it.... 

I will keep you informed!! 

Thank you. 

You were right!! I changed the firmware of the Cpu from 1.10 to 1.16,I don't see the function block in the Sysmac but when I write the FB in the Ladder Sysmac recognize it, now it just remains to me to get the meaning of the various Input variable of the function block. 

You were very useful, thank you for your time. 

Have a nice day and happy new Year!! 

Just another question Innoaloe... Do you think I can use this function even with master IO  link not OMRON (like Ball uff, Ifm, all European priducts) or it's going to work correctly only with NX or GX node? 

Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, Luca82 said:

Just another question Innoaloe... Do you think I can use this function even with master IO  link not OMRON (like Ball uff, Ifm, all European priducts) or it's going to work correctly only with NX or GX node? 

Thanks again. 

Currently it will only work with Omron's IO-Link Master. The FBs have certain input values that specify whether the Master Node is a NX/GX unit. We cannot specify other type of masters.

If you have another IO-Link Master from other vendor that can communicate to PLC through EtherCAT, I believe you will still able to read/write the parameters through EtherCAT communication using EcatSDORead / EcatSDOWrite FBs. However it will require some manual learning of the IO-Link master PDO addressing and commands required that maps to the IO-Link sensors Index and Subindex.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:26 PM, Luca82 said:

You were right!! I changed the firmware of the Cpu from 1.10 to 1.16,I don't see the function block in the Sysmac but when I write the FB in the Ladder Sysmac recognize it, now it just remains to me to get the meaning of the various Input variable of the function block. 

You were very useful, thank you for your time. 

Have a nice day and happy new Year!! 

Whoops, missed this one. I believe you should be able to find the FBs in the toolbox under "Communications" category.

And yea,  Happy New Year to you too :-2

Thank you so much Innoaloe, and happy new yera again!!:clap::-2