rraley

EN2T doesnt show up in Rack I/O configuration

7 posts in this topic

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I have uploaded a Controllogix L-61 program that has an EN2T at the card #1 position  and another at the card #10 position in a 13 slot rack. The first one shows up in the I/O config and is addressed for Local equipment data (VFDs, soft starters, relays etc) the second is for our Wonderware SCADA data. These have different IP networks XXX.16.X.X and XXX.20.X.X. This is all functioning just fine. Why can I not see the EN2T in the 10 position in the uploaded configuration?

IMG_3041.jpg.517a15627300bab07073db5b58c

Edited by rraley
edit photo

The module doesn't always need to be configured for an HMI or SCADA system to be able to read data. It's not unusual to have a communications module in the chassis that the PLC doesn't "know" is there. The PLC only needs to know it's there if it's going to be controlling I/O (or similar) over that connection. In this case, the SCADA system handles all of the communications.

We do have a system in place using another PC-based SCADA package that does need to be configured in the PLC I/O tree. I can't remember what it's called since it came in as a package deal from an OEM.

Have you tried to add the 2nd EN2T module to the rack configuration in Logix?  Does RSLinx show the 2nd EN2T module?  Does RSLinx show both EN2T modules with no yellow warning symbol?

Yes, the two are seen with RSLinx. No have not tried to add card to rack config as the system is running fine. I've just never run across this before and thought it to be odd. This card does control as far as filling tag registers for pump start and stop, drive speeds and permissives.

If the information coming through the module is all originating from the SCADA system, then all is well. It doesn't have to be in the PLC configuration.

ControlLogix is the only modern platform I'm aware of that allows you to have "extra" modules in the chassis, the processor in any slot of the chassis, and multiple processors in the same chassis. You can have I/O modules controlled by different processors in the same chassis or in different chassis or not controlled at all. Modules can be set up in multiple processor projects as "listen only" so that multiple processors can read the module data, though modules can only be controlled by one processor. It's a very flexible system that way.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:19 PM, rraley said:

Yes, the two are seen with RSLinx. No have not tried to add card to rack config as the system is running fine. I've just never run across this before and thought it to be odd. This card does control as far as filling tag registers for pump start and stop, drive speeds and permissives.

Whoever made the program initially didn't see it as necessary to include the EN2T located in slot 10 in the I/O configuration within Logix. This I/O Configuration does not auto populate like what you would see in Linx so you wont see that card unless you manually add it.

1 person likes this