shockrt

controllogix Interfacing with Blood Gas Analyzer (RAPIDPoint 500)

3 posts in this topic

My client is a pharmaceutical company and they want to interface their Blood Gas Analyzer (which is a RAPIDPoint 500) to a Controllogix PLC via EtherNet. I have attached a Spec that I found, which gives the initial information you would need to do this. It says that the BGA can transmit data in ASCII. However, it doesn't list what bits I need to send to the device in order for it to send the PLC the data. I've tried contacting Siemen's (who makes the BGA) and they were useless. I also tried searching the RA knowledgebase. 

Does anyone have any insight on how to communicate with a device in this way?

Thank you

Tyler

RP500_LIS_5_20_13_-_Rev_C_.pdf

I would get an ASCII to EtherNet/IP gateway to do this.    My favorites are the HMS Fieldbus "Communicator" (AB7072 or the new  HMS-EN2SE-R)and the Real-Time Automation 435NBX gateway.

The Communicator is probably faster, and could do more onboard parsing of the strings from the BGA instrument, but the 435NBX is dead-simple to configure and use.

This sounds like a really cool application.   Are they controlling a storage system that handles samples for the BGA ?

>However, it doesn't list what bits I need to send to the device in order for it to send the PLC the data. I've tried contacting Siemen's (who makes the BGA) and they were useless.

RP500 comm manual page 2-7:  Patient Sample Assay Transaction
- The analyzer notifies the host (LIS) that a patient sample analysis has begun or been cancelled.
- Host acknowledges
- analyzer notifies host that new patient data is available
- host acknowledges the msg
- host request the data and identifies the sequence number of the requested data
- analyzer sends data
- host acknowledges