Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asteroide

VMWare configuration for AB software

5 posts in this topic

Hello Friends

I have gotten a new laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad P51, Windows 10 Pro 64, 16RAM, i7-7820HQ 1TB HDD 5400RPM,  NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB GDDR5

I have installed VMware Workstation v14 and created a VM with Win 7 Pro 64, RSLogix v20, Studio 24, 29, FTView 9, CCW 10 (VM Settings: 8RAM, #processors 1, cores procesor 4, 100HDD, Network bridged)
Also, I have created a VM with Win XP SP3 32 bit, RsLogix 16-20, FTView 6.1, RSLogix 500 (VM Settings: 4RAM, #processors 1, cores procesor 4, 40HDD, Network bridged)
VM with XP has not problem, it performs very well, but VM with Win7 performs very slow, I know that this software needs more capacity but sometimes is too slow or sometimes freezes the process in some step.
Also, I have tried another VM with XP and software like Mitsubishi, Omron, Panasonic and it performs OK.

I have tried different configurations, but same problem happens with Win 7.

Which configuration do you recommend? or what can I do to get a better performance?

Thanks in advance

I would increase the RAM in both the host and the VM. My laptop is a Dell.  Here are my specs, host first then VM.

Host_Specs.PNG.990c6d8c3f50bdd2952a38670

VM_Specs.PNG.cd917aa4878b5ade91921cd99ca

The VM has:

RSLogix 5

RSLogix 500

RSLogix 5000 v13,15,16,17,18,19,20

Studio 5000 v24,29,30

Several miscellaneous smaller packages (for signal conditioners and safety relay configuration)

HMI software (Panelbuilder 32, Crimson 3, Uticor PowerPanel, FT View Studio is in its own 32-bit VM)

Drive configuration software (Drive Tools Suite, Control Techniques)

Miscellaneous 3rd party software packages (Rexroth, Watlow, Eurotherm)

I have an XP VM for the older versions of RSLogix 5000 (10,11,12), SLC Logistics (for SLC 100/150), and PLC2 software (can't go online but can open the code).

I've had to make sure that at least one core is freed up for the base OS and reduce RAM.

Hi asteroide.

Have you installed the VMWare tools? Secondly use Windows 7 Pro x86 rather than the x64 version. I have always had issues with an x64 guest OS.

Cheers

Guy

Check that you have your network settings right. My WM machine had several ethernet cards running. So I disabled them, then set up one card as bridge. After that studio 5000 got much faster. I think the other ethernetcards slow down the machine for me.

Worth a shot!