7 posts in this topic

I first saw AS-i at a factory this week and am trying to figure out what Allen Bradley modules can interface it. I am not finding anything, does AS-I go under some different name?

So here's what I gathered (...from Reddit) but you use an AS-i master that's on IP, and map that to Profibus in your PLC. I'm butchering that but it's what I suspected. Siemens is the best site to see demonstrations of this. If anyone has more info I'm all ears.

AS-i has always been a Siemens-promoted network, so you don't find very much A-B stuff to interface with it.    

There is a CompactLogix 1769-bus interface module from B+W, and some EtherNet/IP to ASi gateways (like this one from IFM) as well.

A-B has never built IO devices that connect to ASi networks.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info Ken. This is all for an A-B trainer, might consider Siemens now. I'm surprised A-B can ignore a whole bus like that.

A-B had DeviceNet for its low-cost, low-level network.   For better or for worse, the "open standards" networking of the past 20 years or so was still largely divided between competing major manufacturers.

If you're building a "trainer" system, tailor it to the devices that your installed base uses.

1 person likes this

Yes, not every vendor has "direct" access or support for for every other vendor network on the market.  This created a "niche" market for new vendors that create and maintain "gateway" or protocol converters.  This opens up most vendor products to other networks.

Consider HMS Anybus or Red Lion for interfacing other networks.

1 person likes this

I did look at Her Majesty's Ship AnyBus. Three hundred combos, amazing. So, hypothetically, I can do AS-i for fun and party tricks, with merely this:

• Automation Direct BRX PLC supporting Ethernet/IP, Modbus & friends
  • Network switch / crossover cable / etc
  • HMS Anybus AS-i to say, Ethernet/IP

All too easy? I did call/email A-D's tech support but I think I confused them.

PS: I like Ethernet/IP. Saying "Ethernet/IP" is like saying "Highway/Sedan".