SeanP

Keyence Ladder builder software

3 posts in this topic

Trying to change out an old flakey Keyence KV-24R processor with a current KV-24DR.  The Ladder Builder software I need to upload the program form the old PLC has to run on an XP computer.  I was finally able to install a trial version of the software (after waiting a couple weeks for for access to an XP computer from the company IT department). The software ran the first time, but I had to restart my computer.  After restarting my computer, when I try to run the Ladder Builder software, I get "Illegal initialization data" and the software shuts down.  I have reinstalled the software a few times already.  I have left a message for Keyence, but they don't support their own products in America (they are sending my question to Japan.  Anybody have any ideas?

Sean

The old KV may or may not be supported with the new software (KV Studio). The newer KV will. It wouldn't hurt to download a trial version and give it a try. Go to their Downloads section and do a search for "KV Studio". It'll be in the list below the Updates. "Trial KV Studio Software". When you try to connect to the PLC the software will tell you if it's not supported.

If that doesn't work then get set up with Virtual Machine software like VMware or Oracle VM VirtualBox. You can run older operating systems like XP. Make a copy or clone of your OS. Then if your software goes awry then you can just delete it and start over. Troubleshooting Ladder Builder will be a real pain. It's actually 16 bit software using a Windows Shell. I believe it was designed for DOS then they just created a shell for it to run it on Windows 95 and 98. It's horrible.

Also, try Keyence again. You are correct their PLC's are not supported in the US but they do sell and give limited support on the small Visual KV series. There are some people near the Philadelphia area that may be able to help. The Keyence guys (here) should be able to point you in their direction. Where are you located?

I need to connect to the old PLC with the old software (I have the trial version of Ladder Builder version 1.5) to upload the original program.  I have the new software (trial version of KV Studio) for when I get the existing program out of the old PLC so that I can convert it and download it to the new PLC.

I am located in Ohio.  I emailed my Keyence contact yesterday with this issue and they are sending my question to their contacts.  I guess I was just hoping somebody else here ran into this particular problem so that I can get this issue completed.