queenslandpommie

Copy data value from one PLC to another using PanelView

6 posts in this topic

I have a situation where 2 PLCs are connected to our Automation Ethernet network and want to use a PanelView to copy one value from one PLC to another without the need for Operator input.

The scenario is we have a Micrologix 1500 connected to the network via a Net ENi and a Micrologix 1100 connected directly to the same network.  We have issues with the Net ENi occasionally locking up because of too many connections due to the Net ENi connection number limitation.  I have this wild idea that the PanelView, used to connect and control to the 1500 (via Ethernet and the Net ENi) could read the integer value in the 1100 and then transfer it to the 1500.  I believe macros can be run on PanelViews but not sure if this a feature that could help me.  I've thought about messaging but currently no messages are sent to the 1500 so creating one is likely to be another connection that may cause the Net ENi to lock up.

The 1100 has a product code that represents the product that is being controlled by both PLCs and it is required to be sent to the 1500.  As I said I would like it to be an automatic transfer that would be triggered once only on a change of product initiated in the 1100.  I have considered as a last resort to have a PanelView button that becomes visible only on a change of product and also covers the start button for the 1500 machine to prevent it being started.  My idea is that pressing the GOTO Display button would jump to a product code entry display where the new product code from the 1100 is displayed and also entered to be written to the 1500.  Entering the new value would then cause the PV to jump back to the display with the then uncovered Start button.  I favour this less because it introduces operator error.

The PanelView currently reliably communicates with both PLCs

Please, if anyone can help me with this I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by queenslandpommie

So I guess I'm missing how this is a solution.  If the 1500 comms lock up then how would using a PV to transfer the number help since the comms would be locked up to the PV also?  If necessary I think you could trigger a simple macro to transfer the value of one tag to another.  Tag1 on 1100  and Tag 2 on 1500. 

Alternatively, as kaiser suggests, you may want to delve into your comms problem some more.  Do you have a managed switch on your network?  I have used eni's with 1500's in the past without communications drops.  Without a managed switch the eni may be getting flooded with unnecessary messages that such a switch would filter out.  I know that VFD's have a low tolerance for this and will just stop communicating.  The eni may be siimilar though I have not seen it personally. 

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to Kaiser_Will, I haven't investigated the firmware version, however it is a known limitation with Net-ENIs that they only allow 4(I believe) connections before connection issues occur.  We have other Net-ENIs where we get lock outs on them.  It hasn't been a problem on the 1500 for a while now, but I suspect it will if I add another connection by use of a message.  In the New Year we are upgrading the 1500 to a 1400 that has Ethernet built in so no need for the Net-ENI then.

In answer to PLCMentor.com, The PV sits our on the Ethernet and is used to control the 1500 and so usually has no issue connecting to it, so as it can freely communicate with the 1100 it isn't a problem.  In my opinion it isn't an issue with compatibility with of the Net_ENI and the 1500, it's more to do with other devices communicating with it.  In my experience with our 1500 we sometimes find that we can't get online to it with our laptop using RSLogix500 unless we go down and do a power cycle on the Net_ENI to reset it and allow access.

The idea of a managed switch is interesting but as we are upgrading to a 1400 soon it's probably not worth the extra expense, time and effort for me to set it up, particularly as I don't have experience with managed switches.  I think I will try to set up a macro on the PV as you suggested for now, and then later when we upgrade to a 1400 I'll set up a MSG instruction in the 1100 to send the product number across to the 1500.

Thanks again, Neil

OK, I eventually remembered my old college instructor's best bit of advice he gave me - RTFM - Read The Flipping Manual.  Which along with PLCMentor.com's advice got me to where I wanted to be.  The FactoryTalk View Machine Edition User's Guide is an excellent manual. 

I set up two tags, one called Source(referencing the value from the 1100) and another called Destination(referencing the value in the 1500) and then created a macro named Macro1.  in the Macro1 pop up I put Destination in the Tag column and Source in the Expression column.  Then in Global Connections/Macro tab I wrote Source <> Destination ( Source NEQ Destination).  I tested by running runtime on the laptop and then wrote values to the Source address in the 1100 and it promptly arrived in the Destination address in the 1500. Voila!

I know it's not ideal using a PanelView to transfer values, but as it's not process critical and just for data monitoring, it will do until we upgrade the 1500 and I can use a MSG.

Thanks, Neil

Edited by queenslandpommie

Ohh, fun ahead, since the 1500 uses compactlogix cards and the 1400 uses regular micrologix cards.